Beginning of the end?

andromeda

MOT fail. Chassis needs welding at front. Mechanic is going to send photo after he gets back from centre. Apparently spongy floor in the back. Not sure if they were checking chassis at the back but don't know if it's normal that they go in the back of the van for MOT?
Is this the beginning of the end for Leo? I have no idea. Polite advice please would be gratefully accepted. Thank you.

Well most vans can stand welding , anything within reason can be fixed , it all depends on the cost of course, and how you value your vehicle etc, , I had new front tyres fitted last year and when my van was jacked up the nearside jacking point collapsed and needed extensive welding, I got 2 new Jacking point assemblies from E Bay and my MOT garage did the welding to replace the collapsed one, they had the van 3 days as they were busy with other jobs , only one side needed the welding, cost me £850 in total so not too bad I thought, where could I get a replacement van for £850 ??beware though there are some duff welders out there so ask around ,Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. Nathan has dealt with my vehicles for 20 years with no problems but the welding question is something to ask in relation to experience.

Hi Anne,

Had one side around the front wheel welded a few years, and was told at the last mot that probably the other side will need doing. Can't remember how much it was, but can't have been too costly or I would have remembered.

Regarding the rear floor being spongy......they may have noticed it from underneath, I think it's a fairly easy fix with injected resin.....recent thread on WC by Oppy who had a similar problem or you could PM him.

It depends if the spongy floor is because of delaminating or damp. Delaminating can usually be fixed with a resin injection, damp floor needs replacing and the source of the dampness finding and fixing.

Hi Anne,

Had one side around the front wheel welded a few years, and was told at the last mot that probably the other side will need doing. Can't remember how much it was, but can't have been too costly or I would have remembered.

Regarding the rear floor being spongy......they may have noticed it from underneath, I think it's a fairly easy fix with injected resin.....recent thread on WC by Oppy who had a similar problem or you could PM him.
Thanks

we had ours welded.........expensive...however its her pride and joy.........plus cheaper than buying aanother one...........good luck anne..........take care

Depends on how much and how, advanced it is....

ANYTHING is repairable just depends on how much its going to cost to deal with AND if you plan on keeping the vehicle...

Sometimes a patch repair isn't too expensive to get get it through another mot...
However proper repair if you plan to keep can be more expensive.

I have the blessing/curse of being able to weld....

So can't remember the last time I paid for welding...
However my time is free ;-)

IMG_20190331_130149.jpgIMG_20190331_130228.jpgIMG_20190331_130244.jpgIMG_20190331_130302.jpgIMG_20190331_130204.jpg

A very difficult decision to make .when the bills start to roll in it is hard to know when to stop .and let go. When you get some estimates the decision may not be too difficult .

Depends on how much and how, advanced it is....

ANYTHING is repairable just depends on how much its going to cost to deal with AND if you plan on keeping the vehicle...

Sometimes a patch repair isn't too expensive to get get it through another mot...
However proper repair if you plan to keep can be more expensive.

I have the blessing/curse of being able to weld....

So can't remember the last time I paid for welding...
However my time is free ;-)

View attachment 60693View attachment 60694View attachment 60695View attachment 60696View attachment 60697
They look scary. Mechanic having a proper look tomorrow

Make sure all above is removed to stop it melting or fire, best he used mig, I to have kept thing going longer by patching up.

car 1.jpgcar 2.jpgcar 3.jpgcar 11.jpgcar 12.jpgcar 17.jpgcar 19.jpgcar 20.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back