Best mattress

PECKS

Free Member

Hi could anyone help me with the best mattress to buy for a fixed bed. It’s our first MH and it’s 17 years old. The old mattress was just two pieces of foam stuck together, but I was thinking possibly a memory foam mattress or a foam mattress with a memory foam mattress topper. We have a Peugeot Autocruise. Also when I removed mattress it was wet in the middle so I’m presuming condensation, any advice greatly appreciated 😌 Thanks

Mattresses should not get "wet", but bodies do perspire in the night so there should be good ventilation under the mattress and if possible turn them during the day so they can air it away, but they should be stored on edge if poss when the van is not in use if it is a problem.

As Pudsey says, ventilation under the mattress is key. A solid base as some beds have is not good at all. I would suggestion having a look at the Froli syste, which boths adds comfort as well as ventilation.
Here is a random Youtube video showing it

We use this stuff, it works really well on a solid base, bit expensive, but does exactly what it says, and is washable.

or

Last edited:
We use this stuff, it works really well on a solid base, bit expensive, but does exactly what it says, and is washable.

or
Thanks for that, looking at all links that all you kind people have sent 👍🙂

I've seen the Froli method before but I'm sure there were a couple of different colours which denoted different weights, such as hip need more support than feets.

I've seen the Froli method before but I'm sure there were a couple of different colours which denoted different weights, such as hip need more support than feets.
yup - I think that is how you set it up for optimum support. I guess it is also a way to be able to use the same double mattress if you have different needs for 2 people, setting up one side of the bed differently than the other.
I've not used the Froli springs, but I have used the Froli adjustable headrest in my last campervan build and was impressed in both the way the product worked and its construction & build quality, so I would have no hesitation in getting the bed spring kit if the situation arose.

From personal experience I can fully recommend Duvalay. Yes, I know they seem expensive but it's the old adage - you get what you pay for. We had a twin axle Lunar Lexon caravan which on purchase needed a new mattress for a fixed French Bed. We got it from Duvalay (well before they were on Dragon's Den) and were very impressed with the quality and service. It was cut to the exact shape needed for our bed.
When the mattress in the MH needed renewing we decided to get 2 single mattresses, for various reasons, one of which was the cheese wedge shape due to this bed also being a fixed French Bed.
Duvalay were excellent. Both mattresses were produced to the exact measurements. Each was of a different density memory foam yet they are both always level on the bed. We have used them for about 40 nights a year for the last 5 years (less during Covid) and they still seem like new. The protectors/sheets/quilt covers all come in the right size and shape. What is more. it's a lot easier to change the bedding with 2 single mattresses than with 1 big heavy one! Best of luck with your search.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back