Black smoke!

I always thought that sprinter handbrakes were rubbish, but at the last MOT the garage actually made it work properly. So it can be done after all!

Yep I have the sprintshift box too, I'll use it in auto this year.
Code reader adapter cable should arrive tomorrow so will see if it shows anything.

I know exactly the type of gearbox a sprintshift is, and that's specifically the sort that the garage was talking about.
Having said that, he also said much the same applies to the Mercedes car autoboxes.
I have no way of telling how reliable this info is. It seems to me that Mercedes generally know what they're doing.
If the gearbox wants to be in a particular gear, who's to say it's wrong, unless there's something unexpected about to happen?

How old is it? I was under the impression that the standard OBD2 connector came in at about 2002. If you have the old round connector, prepare to be disappointed by the data you can get from it.

How old is it? I was under the impression that the standard OBD2 connector came in at about 2002. If you have the old round connector, prepare to be disappointed by the data you can get from it.
2005, I have no great expectations so any data will be a bonus.

Just to add, only times I have noticed smoke it’s been white smoke and has been caused when I have had to run the engine for longish periods when stationary to charge battery’s. That was before I got the generator and I always kept the revs up near 2000rpm as I was advised against doing this with my engine by a mechanic.

Longer time members will know who I mean but can’t think what his form name was. I mean Paul who now has the canal boat with a sister Chris. I have only typed this bit as I can’t think what name he used and it bugging me lol
I think the member that you are trying to remember was called Flyby

My van had black smoke coming out of it (Fiat Ducati 2.8) and was advised put redex in and take it for a run and rive the ass out of it well I did and my engine went bang had to have the whole engine rebuilt £5,000 later it runs great and no smoke that redex stuff certainly sorted mine. 😂😂

My van had black smoke coming out of it (Fiat Ducati 2.8) and was advised put redex in and take it for a run and rive the ass out of it well I did and my engine went bang had to have the whole engine rebuilt £5,000 later it runs great and no smoke that redex stuff certainly sorted mine. 😂😂
There must have been a problem, many engines wear a step in the bores if driven slow and or oilways get clogged up with thick deposits due to not driving fast and worming the oil up so the detergents clean the inside of engine, when I worked on cars it was always the old farts that had trouble with them due to pussy footing.

Over here, in France/Spain, we have had long drives at 80 kmh. I take the opportunity to stay in fifth gear and let the engine run slightly harder than usual. Don’t know if it works, but I’m told it does so fair enough!

Top tip.. The Turbo will become very hot especially when you have been on a long run, so before you turn off your engine allow it to tick over for around 3 mins.. doing this will cool down the turbo so the next time when you start it from cold your less likely to see smoke. 🙂
My sister drives a diesel car she says to me.. Can you give my car a service it's smoking when i start it up and when i pull away... yes ok ..i take it down the road and thrash the life out of it... hows the car i say.. lovely she says. 😂🤣😇

Over here, in France/Spain, we have had long drives at 80 kmh. I take the opportunity to stay in fifth gear and let the engine run slightly harder than usual. Don’t know if it works, but I’m told it does so fair enough!
Difficult for me to judge, Rog, but we bought our M/home at nearly 5 years old in April 21 with 8757 miles on the clock. The engine was tight as a tick, but did free up a little at around 10,000 miles during a circular motorway trip from Scotland to Bristol and back. This trip from Scotland to Spain has added almost 1600 miles in 10 days, and used a small amount of oil. Engine seemed to have loosened again yesterday, during a decent light throttle run along the AP7 at 55-60, with the 'thrashing' occurring by having to drop to 5th for the climbs and opening the throttle up to get that 2nd stage acceleration when the throttle is pushed to the floor. I say difficult yo judge because of the variables of gradient, swirling winds and bunching traffic, but the 55mph became the 60mph and overtaking the Hgv's became a lot easier!

Steve

Long hot runs will never run a engine in, but it will get the detergents and long chain polymers in the oil to do their biz, it will also clean the probs on modern engines, short hot to cold runs engines in best.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back