Blue Badge

I have done a fair bit supporting Help for Heroes in the past but not done much lately. Not a conscious decision just not been in those circles. As to supporting limbless ex service I am not so sure. Anyone disabled in the forces gets much more advanced prosthetics than civvies do unless privately raising the money. Don’t take my post the wrong way I don’t begrudge them that but it would be a factor in any help I may or may not offer as a charity

It's only money, I don't have a lot but all the little donations add up, and hopefully get's used efficiently and not spent on silly admin wages.

As my post said he who had lost both legs laughs about the blue badge. I am a member of BLESMA. British limbless ex service mens association. As he also is. We know loads of limbless people and a lot of them agree with him that they have a blue badge and they will honestly say they are not handicapped in things they do. Also a lot of people who have both legs are more disabled then those that don’t. Curious as to how many people who use these forums know/ support Blesma. I am a limb loss veteran so there are somethings that I do know about. Not many but some. Brian. Ps. Some people support help the hero. I agree. But let’s not forget those that didnt come home.
I know about about Blesma as my father in law lost his leg whilst serving and was looked after by them throughout his life they converted parts of his house so he could get around and supported a lot of other medical needs.

Friend of mine. Ex bomb disposal. Lost both legs above the knees in an explosion. He has pip and blue badge. The thing he laughs about is that on his false legs he does the London. Marathon Also the Colorado Death Valley marathon plus others. I also know a few golfers who have the bb. but can walk round a 18 hole golf course. Brian
How could you lose the legs above the knees, surly you mean below, all ex service folk should be well looked after, pity most are forgotten about.

Both legs amputated above knees Halfway way between knees and top of thighs. Well at least he had legs above his knees. I have brian

Both legs amputated above knees Halfway way between knees and top of thighs. Well at least he had legs above his knees. I have brian
We all knew exactly what you meant Brian.

Our nation has a huge debt of gratitude to members of our forces who have been hurt in service. If ever we met up, I'd be delighted to buy you a pint or three. 👍

I know we're not suppose to follow our US cousins, but after Vietnam they now thank their forces for their service, I have started to do the same, we have a double amputee recently moved in across the road, he also has PTSD, and sometimes you hear him scream, he says he's better here as it so much quieter than his last house, nice lad but in so much pain.

Pudsey. Your friend ptsd. See if he knows about Combat Stress. They are for ex forces ptsd. They do counselling physchiatry and 2 to 6 weeks Courses in leatherhead Surrey . Ayr. And Newport Shropshire Excellent very helpful for some. See internet. Brian

Last edited:
He's just a neighbour Brian and he's done it all, we had a ex SAS chap doing our bathroom his head was totally screwed, his work was terrible, lovely bloke but no concentration.

Today I phoned Renfrewshire council to enquire about my blue badge renewal. I applied 14 weeks ago despite their website saying 6 weeks for renewals and was told that it had been refused. They now do no face to face assessments and I was told that my application simply did not meet requirements. As Susie is soon to have major heart surgery this means that I may be unable to visit her in hospital, being only just able to reach the wards from the nearest disabled spaces. Additionally I will be very limited in venturing out alone as I cannot exit a car unless the door is fully open so normal car park spaces do not work. Whilst these civil servants sit on their lazy backsides working from home they are destroying peoples lives. Outrageous.
How awful for you both amd wrong.
I Hope something can be done and that Susie's op goes well.

• Thank You
Reactions: 2cv
Today I phoned Renfrewshire council to enquire about my blue badge renewal. I applied 14 weeks ago despite their website saying 6 weeks for renewals and was told that it had been refused. They now do no face to face assessments and I was told that my application simply did not meet requirements. As Susie is soon to have major heart surgery this means that I may be unable to visit her in hospital, being only just able to reach the wards from the nearest disabled spaces. Additionally I will be very limited in venturing out alone as I cannot exit a car unless the door is fully open so normal car park spaces do not work. Whilst these civil servants sit on their lazy backsides working from home they are destroying peoples lives. Outrageous.
Try contacting your local ward councillor, not parish, they have very little clout, failing that your MP. You could also try a charity that is relevant to your disability. Councils can’t just change the criteria for these things, they are legislated by central govt. good luck

Try contacting your local ward councillor, not parish, they have very little clout, failing that your MP. You could also try a charity that is relevant to your disability. Councils can’t just change the criteria for these things, they are legislated by central govt. good luck
Thanks, I’ve contacted my ward councillors and they have been most helpful with result that apparently the decision is being reviewed. I also contacted my MSP who has offered to meet me should things not change. This is all impressive but the stress unnecessarily caused by all this is really not good at present.

The problem is that now the decision on eligibility is made by a council employee rather than a doctor is it is open to interpretation. Council workers have probably been told to err on the side of caution and refuse if any doubt. A disablity and an individual can cope with it is different for everyone so you cant give a definite on how to do it, the government stuff is Guidance.
If this was the stance with only new applications it wouldnt be as bad so long as they had an effective and fairly quick appeal system. My view only but i dont think an existing blue badge owner should be refused without either evidence they dont need it (as someone posted here their friends dont) or a doctor/consultant saying you no longer qualify after a medical examination.
In 2CV's case the system has obviously failed him

As you say it's open to interpretation by whomever is looking at the application, but it should not be anything to do with the council at all they are just the issuing body, it should all be on medical or other body to say yes/no and give valid reasons as to why you don't qualify if you get refused, refusal should be solely on grounds of abuse or lack of need, there should also be a temporary badge for those who have had a new knees or hips as a normal space does not allow you to open doors wide enough to get in and out of a car.

there should also be a temporary badge for those who have had a new knees or hips as a normal space does not allow you to open doors wide enough to get in and out of a car.
[/QUOTE]

I realise this might cause a stir but when Linda was assessed for a blue badge, I mentioned about having space to open the car door, I was told by the occupational therapists, it couldn't be taken into account, I decided not to challenge this as might jeopardise her report.l

It's awful that you had to make that choice, but disabled bays have the additional cross hatching between bays for that very purpose, barking.

there should also be a temporary badge for those who have had a new knees or hips as a normal space does not allow you to open doors wide enough to get in and out of a car.

I realise this might cause a stir but when Linda was assessed for a blue badge, I mentioned about having space to open the car door, I was told by the occupational therapists, it couldn't be taken into account, I decided not to challenge this as might jeopardise her report.l
[/QUOTE]
That’s another change that has come in over the years then Lee as I know at one time if you broke your leg you had a chance of getting one on a temporary basis. No idea if I last heard of it in 70’s, 80’s or any time after though

...............there should also be a temporary badge for those who have had a new knees or hips as a normal space does not allow you to open doors wide enough to get in and out of a car.
That's exactly what I did. I visited our doctor for his view, then wrote a letter requesting a Blue Badge on behalf of my wife, adding that it was anticipated it would only be needed for about a year.

After about a year, I returned both her crutches and her Blue Badge, thanking both bodies for their generous help at a difficult time.

You were very lucky we tried for Liz as she had both done over two years, nothing.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back