Boxer/ducato Scuttle

Iandsm

On my Boxer, and I assume the Ducato is the same, l there is a small section of windscreen skuttle on the offside which can be removed to give access to the power steering reservoir. The removable part is held in place by three turn buttons. There are rubber seals which in theory stop rainwater gong through I not the engine compartment, the turn button fixings do not seal correctly and in heavy rain or if I pour water over the windscreen the water runs as to it should towards the main drain but as it passes over the removable part and over the turn buttons there is quite a bit of dripping. I have ensured the removable part is properly fixed and secured and that the turn buttons are locked in place but I cannot stop the drips. The water does not appear to drip on anything of any importance, it just runs down the inner wing and onto the top of the inner plastic wheel housing. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this, it appears to be a design flaw, should I be concerned, does it matter, should I try to get it fixed. Thoughts appreciated please.

On my Boxer, and I assume the Ducato is the same, l there is a small section of windscreen skuttle on the offside which can be removed to give access to the power steering reservoir. The removable part is held in place by three turn buttons. There are rubber seals which in theory stop rainwater gong through I not the engine compartment, the turn button fixings do not seal correctly and in heavy rain or if I pour water over the windscreen the water runs as to it should towards the main drain but as it passes over the removable part and over the turn buttons there is quite a bit of dripping. I have ensured the removable part is properly fixed and secured and that the turn buttons are locked in place but I cannot stop the drips. The water does not appear to drip on anything of any importance, it just runs down the inner wing and onto the top of the inner plastic wheel housing. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this, it appears to be a design flaw, should I be concerned, does it matter, should I try to get it fixed. Thoughts appreciated please.
I wouldn't bother.... Even IF you seal it there...

It gets in elsewhere to cause the wiper assembly and also the gearbox selector mechanism to sieze almost solid unless you keep them well lubricated with white grease etc....
It's frankly poor just design

Crap design in the extreme, there is a drain in the scuttle but it is on the right hand side of the scuttle, logical if you didn't drive on the left, why not put one on each side then it would drain properly, I've drilled a large hole on the left side of the scuttle and attached a convoluted hose to allow it to drain safely and not onto the fuse box and ECU, the actual flat scuttle warps in the sun so I've put a none setting mastic behind it and this has helped, I also have the problem that I park pointing down hill which is also another problem as water comes down the screen, over the scuttle cover and heads straight for the air inlet for the heater on the bonnet, so I have to protect the gubbins under the bonnet by have in a sheet of plastic covering the air filter ECU and fuse box, already had to replace ECU from water ingress, not a cheap hobby to get into.

Crap design in the extreme, there is a drain in the scuttle but it is on the right hand side of the scuttle, logical if you didn't drive on the left, why not put one on each side then it would drain properly, I've drilled a large hole on the left side of the scuttle and attached a convoluted hose to allow it to drain safely and not onto the fuse box and ECU, the actual flat scuttle warps in the sun so I've put a none setting mastic behind it and this has helped, I also have the problem that I park pointing down hill which is also another problem as water comes down the screen, over the scuttle cover and heads straight for the air inlet for the heater on the bonnet, so I have to protect the gubbins under the bonnet by have in a sheet of plastic covering the air filter ECU and fuse box, already had to replace ECU from water ingress, not a cheap hobby to get into.
Mine has three drains in the scuttle, left, centre and right about the size of a 50p. they all drain feely so no problem at all even in heavy rain. The part I refer to is a small, about 6 inch removable section of the scuttle which gives access to power steering reservoir on the extreme odffside, its' just this small section that drips, not the actual drains.

Mine has three drains in the scuttle, left, centre and right about the size of a 50p. they all drain feely so no problem at all even in heavy rain. The part I refer to is a small, about 6 inch removable section of the scuttle which gives access to power steering reservoir on the extreme odffside, its' just this small section that drips, not the actual drains.
What year is the van?

Well at least the Scuttle sounds much improved over the 07 models but how difficult can it be to fix the problems before selling them.

Well at least the Scuttle sounds much improved over the 07 models but how difficult can it be to fix the problems before selling them.
Well here's a turn up. I just checked it again and its not dripping. I had cleaned the seals and replaced the small removable section and then poured a job of water down the windscreen, the water ran along the skuttle, over the removable section and down the drain as it should, NO DRIPS!

Reactions: Rec
Can you post a picture of the whole scuttle panel, It might be a retrofit for mine.

Lovely, I'll have a look when I get chance and see if it might fit, then frighten myself with prices, although used plastics are not always bad if they're not accident damaged kind of stuff.

I like the look of the "bib" in the second last picture. I have a small sheet of poly doing the same job but I have to remember to remove it before setting off. That would be a great fixed replacement.

I can see the overlapping points of your scuttle sections that would direct water along when the van is level but I guess it would be possible for the water to creep under the joins if the van is not level side to side :unsure:
K ;)

I like the look of the "bib" in the second last picture. I have a small sheet of poly doing the same job but I have to remember to remove it before setting off. That would be a great fixed replacement.

I can see the overlapping points of your scuttle sections that would direct water along when the van is level but I guess it would be possible for the water to creep under the joins if the van is not level side to side :unsure:
K ;)
Despite looking (closely I thought) at the pictures I didn't see the join, which picture is it in please.

Ah!! I think I see one end next to the wiper arm in pic one but not the other end.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back