Brewing beer

We have some wild hops growing near us. Are they used in beer making at all?

There are many different variety of hops do you know which variety ?

No, they are just growing wild in the hedge where I walk the dog. We are in Norfolk if that helps?

Oooh lots of varieties then! I am sure we heard that one of the breweries was wanting access to wild hops so perhaps they are another variety altogether?

From the hemp family may be someone's stash of grass.🤣

Oooh lots of varieties then! I am sure we heard that one of the breweries was wanting access to wild hops so perhaps they are another variety altogether?
Give them a sample and see what they think. You can then harvest and sell on.

Not sure how much you need but I wouldn't think it would be commercially viable? It is just about 50m of hedge with the hops growing through it. I imagine the brewery might want them to start growing some rather than as a source for regular brewing?

Getting ready for winter. 100 kg of Marris Otter and 5kg of Crystal malt. 5kg of Willamette and Styrian Goldings hops ordered , enough hops for 2 years or may trade some for different varieties .😀20200924_102629.jpg

Not if if that big dug pishess on them bags Or dose that give it the distinctive flavour.😜

won’t pretend to understand the process but can give an expert opinion that the end product is worth the effort, give us a wave at the weekend wully says you’ll be across the water from us lol

Hi Ken its next month we are at Portavade .p.s. kids had the sausage rolls after school on Friday and thoroughly enjoyed them, i was disappointed as i thought Niamh would only finish half.

We have some wild hops growing near us. Are they used in beer making at all?
More than likely they are the original wild hops from which all other varieties have been grown. Used in this country for brewing since at least the Middle Ages.People still use them.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back