Cab noises

Carrotts

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced very annoying noises inside the cab where the sides meet the roof. Like a squeaking type noise. Just wondering how to cure it.

Thanks. Have had the radio loud but still there,,,,mouse trap. No mice. Bodily wind ,not sure what the connection with squeaking is..

Is there some kind of rubber gasket that connects the metal cab section to the overhead GRP part - to allow movement between the two (otherwise I would think there would be cracks occuring?). I don't know how you would do it, but maybe needs some lube/grease?

I think it is more like the trim of the sides meets the trim of the roof as though they are rubbing somewhere .

I had the same problem problem on my last van. (Autotrail Tracker)
It turned out to be the base of the overhead locker was not secured to the metal of the cab.
I put a bead of silicone on the metalwork and screwed up though into the plywood base.
CURED.

On the current van we had a terrible squeak which turned out to be a sheared off screw holding the microwave in place.
It had been like it for a while as it had almost worn its way through the metal base in a slightly different location.
Using that wear point, I drilled a new hole and put in a new screw.
Hey presto - CURED.

Don’t really hear much when moving due to engine and road noise. Don’t think the Sprinter is well up on cab insulation 😂😂😂

We had a Peugeot Boxer based Autosleeper and after a few hundred miles on particularly bad rounds in South East France, I started hearing squeaking/creaking coming from the roof over the cab. It was more noticeable when going round roundabouts it sharp changes in direction.
I never managed to cure it, we sold the van with the creak still there.

For about seven years, we heard a slide-clunk noise when starting or stopping.
The noise seemed to come from somewhere in the lockers behind the passenger seat. We'd hear it every time, then not at all for a few weeks. Then it would return.
I spend ages trying to track it down, completely unsuccessfully.
Then late last year, I was doing some work under the hob. To do that, I cleared out the drawers and moved the heating ducts.
And there it was: right at the back, behind the pipes and ducts: half a dinner plate.
It was well hidden, wedged in, but able to slide backwards and forwards in its hiding place. No-where near where the sound seemed to come from.
On the other hand, a couple of years ago, we were in France and could hear a Clunk noise from somewhere in the back when we went round a corner. Looked all over for anything loose, in the wardrobe, in the shower, in the boot. Nothing.
It turned out to be a loose nut on one of the end fittings of the DeDion bar in the back suspension.
Once again, not where the noise had seemed to come from.

My local garage had a small car in the workshop last year. The owner had lost her engagement ring in the car. After an extensive search, she took it to the garage to have the heater taken out and checked. When I saw it, all the dash was out, all the wiring was everywhere. The seats were out, the heater was out. The demister ducts were out. You'd not believe it would ever run again.
Next time I was there, that car was gone. Presumably fixed, though perhaps it might have been cheaper to scrap it than put it back together: I forgot to ask. I did ask about the ring: it hadn't been found.

There’s a lot to be said for poor sound proofing after all lol

Has anyone tried Dynamat for cab sound insulation? I’ve seen T4’s done with it and it makes a huge difference and easy to diy.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back