Calais To Bourg St Maurice

Herbenny

We are planning another trip to France this year.
Has anyone been to the above place ? its such a long way and as we only have 8 days we wonder if its just too much for just a short time.
We planning to drive down to Lyon and then next day crack on with the next leg of the journey.
Are there pre paid toll card we could get beforehand and can anyone suggest a quicker easier way ?

Thanks in advance

Haven't been there but it does seem a long way to get to Lyon in one hit! Looks a great area to explore. Trouble with France is that there are so many nice places to stop! We loved Beaune so would stop there before Lyon.
There is a way of paying tolls in France, seen it on other posts, but we just pay as we go.

With a short time...I think tolls are best...However you might consider not going so far south and looking at the Burgundy area...Lovely...not as far and no tolls !

Certainly a long way to go for a relatively short time there.
Assuming that you are going from the Pas de Calais, A26, A5, A31, A6 to Lyon looks a sensible route if you want to pay tolls and get there fast. You might consider missing out Lyon, with its potential for traffic jams, and taking the A39 from Dijon, A40, A41 and N90. Other variations are possible!
If you are having second thoughts about going so far, the key then is to determine what you're looking for. Time of year could be a factor.

If you ask nicely, Full Member might be along shortly. He's the man to ask.Helped me no end.

It’s all relative, my best run was Marseille to Buxton in Derbyshire in just over 17 hours. Had to do it to get back for work and certainly wasn’t in a motorhome lol

look at the St Malo crossings, sail overnight and you have a good nights sleep before you start to drive.

edit: ignore that it’s wrong side, was thinking you wanted to get down to the med

Hi jac, as you know we lived close to you we like boug st Maurice a lot we can do it in 8 hrs including the tunnel from Virginia water, bourg st Maurice has a free aire with elec included, just at the back of the aire is the local pétanque club and over the river is the local coop for cheap cheese, a local speciality is beaufort and you should get a kilo for about 13 euros,
Locally you have some of the cols that are used in TDF and are worth a ride over , andy

Thats 2 days down and 2 back with just 4 days there you could buy a toll tag

Last edited:
Many years ago , about this time of Year. I and 2 friends drove from Maidenhead to Tignes for Ski-ing week.
We left Friday evening Ferry about midnight.
We got to Bourg St M about 6pm (or maybe later) on the Saturday. In a good car and just keeping to speed limits using the toll roads.
2 Drivers ... 2hours driving then 2 hours sleeping and the 3rd friend Navigating/co-driving. Minimal stops for eg coffee
Mr & Mrs Google say 600 miles from Calais and 9 hours (only). Rubbish bearing in mind the last 100 miles or so will be slower.

If you were to chose elsewhere
eg tonnerre as first stop ONLY 300 miles (from Calais)

If you live within striking distance of Folkestone you COULD do that in 1 day
Then you have 6 days to tour and you could head further south as part of the tour and return to similar for an overnight point before the journey home
eg Gurgy nice aire by the river !

I love the mountains but...........

Last edited:
Unless you want to go to Lyon, I'd miss it out. My way to get to that part of the alps toll free would be through Belgium, Luxoumberg, then down via Metz, Nancy, Besancon, Alberville.
Stunning area around the Vanoise national park

Is this still the better route for Toll Free? I fancy doing the Alps May/June. Peage would take a chunk out of my budget. Thanks

Is this still the better route for Toll Free? I fancy doing the Alps May/June. Peage would take a chunk out of my budget. Thanks

Its probably the fastest as it's a lot of motorway, but that's all it's got going for it, apart from a cheap fill up in Luxembourg.
The route suggested by Jagmanx is a much nicer route, and probably only a few hours longer if traffic is on your side. If traffic is bad though, it's a different story. I'd guess at least half the time I've done toll free through France I've given up about a third of the way and gone to the nearest peage 😂. But if you have enough time, the slower routes are far more interesting.

That's the thing about being newly retired. All the time in the world, bugger all income. When the savings are gone, the van follows. I'll only use a toll, and that includes the Dartford Crossing, if I know ,it's going to be cheaper. By using Newhaven - Dieppe I can go the other way around the 25.

How much is Newhaven Dieppe ?
Dartford crossing £6 albeit x2
Pretty much the same if travelling to Spain. Going east, different matter. I suppose Blackwall tunnel is in the LEZ

Unless you want to go to Lyon, I'd miss it out. My way to get to that part of the alps toll free would be through Belgium, Luxoumberg, then down via Metz, Nancy, Besancon, Alberville.
Stunning area around the Vanoise national park
Thanks Mark ... that's the way paul said he wants to go.
I take it that would be two full on days driving ? .... I don't mind the driving but then again am the passenger who gets to see the views 😂

Pretty much the same if travelling to Spain. Going east, different matter. I suppose Blackwall tunnel is in the LEZ
Ring them to book that crossing Del, there is an old farts discount (y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back