Calculations required>

TissyD

Can anyone help me please. I need to calculate the wattage on my mobility Scooter charger so that I can fit an inverter. The charger is an HP0060W(L2)-M.
The input is marked :100-120VAC, 50-60Htz 1.2A or 100-240VAC, 50-60Htz 1.2-0.5A
DC output+24V 2A
I have tried to figure it out on google but it is as clear as mud.
Thanks in advance Chris.

You can buy a 12v to 24 v plug in charger that plugs into 12 volt socket but very low amps ,not sure if they work on lithium, I noticed Lee was charging Linda's scooter off grid ,

Can anyone help me please. I need to calculate the wattage on my mobility Scooter charger so that I can fit an inverter. The charger is an HP0060W(L2)-M.
The input is marked :100-120VAC, 50-60Htz 1.2A or 100-240VAC, 50-60Htz 1.2-0.5A
DC output+24V 2A
I have tried to figure it out on google but it is as clear as mud.
Thanks in advance Chris.
So input power into the charger is what counts.
Reason a range of currents quoted is that it supports a wide voltage range.
At the lowest voltage input of 100V, it draws max of 1.2A (120W), at the highest voltage of 240V (so UK), it draws max of 0.5A - again 120W. (Power = Volts x Amps).
So you need an inverter of at least 120W minimum. As charger will be on for potentially hours, get one with a decent excess capacity so it is not on the edge.
If all you are wanting the inverter for is for this purpose and no other, a Pure Sine Wave Inverter of around 250W would be right.
I would be looking at the Victron Phoenix 12/250 (actually around a 220W?) for around £110 including with the right cabling for that.

You will see inverters of around 300W or so that have 12V accessory plugs on them that look handy? At 120W potential output, you are taking off 150W out the battery and at that power, the 12V plug is overloaded - you need to wire the inverter to the battery in a better way.

If you think you might have other uses for an inverter as well, could go bigger, but the bigger you go, you waste a bit more power and a lot more money if not needed.

So input power into the charger is what counts.
Reason a range of currents quoted is that it supports a wide voltage range.
At the lowest voltage input of 100V, it draws max of 1.2A (120W), at the highest voltage of 240V (so UK), it draws max of 0.5A - again 120W. (Power = Volts x Amps).
So you need an inverter of at least 120W minimum. As charger will be on for potentially hours, get one with a decent excess capacity so it is not on the edge.
If all you are wanting the inverter for is for this purpose and no other, a Pure Sine Wave Inverter of around 250W would be right.
I would be looking at the Victron Phoenix 12/250 (actually around a 220W?) for around £110 including with the right cabling for that.

You will see inverters of around 300W or so that have 12V accessory plugs on them that look handy? At 120W potential output, you are taking off 150W out the battery and at that power, the 12V plug is overloaded - you need to wire the inverter to the battery in a better way.

If you think you might have other uses for an inverter as well, could go bigger, but the bigger you go, you waste a bit more power and a lot more money if not needed.
Cheers Wildebus. I only need it for charging the scooter batteries. I thought I would need a lot bigger one.

Reactions: Lee
Cheers Wildebus. I only need it for charging the scooter batteries. I thought I would need a lot bigger one.
From the specs on the charger, it would look like it is a bit less powerful than many eBike chargers, but not that unusual.

FYI, Inverters generally are in fairly short supply at the lower end of the market, so depending on what you go for, check the seller has it available to send to you! The Victron ones usually have less availability problems due, basically, to their high price, but at the lower power range we are talking about, the extra cost is worth it with the much better quality, along with the 5 year warranty.

Here is a link with some info regarding the size of cabling you need for the Victron inverters. Other brands will have the same kind of requirements for equivalent powered units, but inverter cabling is something that is often skimped on even by the manufacturers (half the time, I end up throwing away the supplied cables as inadequate).

You can buy a 12v to 24 v plug in charger that plugs into 12 volt socket but very low amps ,not sure if they work on lithium, I noticed Lee was charging Linda's scooter off grid ,

I've considered this, so I'll chat to Lee and see how it is. This is the one I found on eBay

I've considered this, so I'll chat to Lee and see how it is. This is the one I found on eBay

word to note for anyone looking at this ....
The connector on that looks very similar to my eBike Battery Charger (except mine is 48V 2A). I had a look at mine to compare and there are 5 different combinations noted of the pinouts on those 3-pin connectors.

so DO NOT assume the +ve and -ve of the connector matches the pinout of your battery charger port!!

word to note for anyone looking at this ....
The connector on that looks very similar to my eBike Battery Charger (except mine is 48V 2A). I had a look at mine to compare and there are 5 different combinations noted of the pinouts on those 3-pin connectors.

so DO NOT assume the +ve and -ve of the connector matches the pinout of your battery charger port!!

What did you find that wasn't pin 1 +ve, 3 -ve and 2 ground/inhibit mate?

What did you find that wasn't pin 1 +ve, 3 -ve and 2 ground/inhibit mate?

.Check example top middle against example bottom left for the 3-pin versions. + and - are reversed.
1628779564911.png

There is a different key for the two so if that is a universal standard (I don't know. I actually doubt it as it would make more sense to have a standard on the pins if they are going to standardise anything), it should be hard to make the plug fit but if someone pushes hard enough .....

.Check example top middle against example bottom left for the 3-pin versions. + and - are reversed.
View attachment 60725

There is a different key for the two so if that is a universal standard (I don't know. I actually doubt it as it would make more sense to have a standard on the pins if they are going to standardise anything), it should be hard to make the plug fit but if someone pushes hard enough .....

Ok, cheers. Yea, that keyway in the different place should make it impossible to screw up.

I asked because I'm considering it for boy's chair, thanks for the info.

Careful if you have non sine wave inverter.left mine on assuming time wasn't critical.charger electronics failed

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back