Calling all Military Historians

Pauljenny

As an Army Cadet , Shooting on the Bisley Ranges, circa 1962.

I Swapped my Leeds Rifles cap badge with a lad from Norwich.

I had to buy a replacement for Half a crown on my return.

A huge sum, compared to a packet of Woodbines !

Can anyone identify this staybright beauty.

I'd like to check if it was a good investment .
IMG_20240518_200112.jpg

If I searched the attic hard enough I could find you a trophy with the same or similar image on for .22 b class from 1995 Nsra bisley presented by the Surrey rifle association

A pound from 1962 is worth near 18 pounds now according to this...

So if you paid 2/6 back in the day but can get 20 quid off Fleabay now, then it was a good investment I guess :)

Your not going on a world cruise but you might be able to afford the T-shirt
[/QUOTE]
We used to use converted Lee Enfield mk1s for .22 shooting.

While at Bisley , I fired Sterlings, Brens, Belgian F.N.s and ,of course many LE mark 4s
2 weeks of bliss, during the summer school holidays.

I did nsra for 10 years and a week at bisley was never enough, with the many clubs and even more shooters there was never a dull moment, even when It was pissing down with rain and you were trying to keep your paper target from tearing because your grouping was spot on , to the heat haze that would change direction quicker than the mozzies that had snuck inside you jacket and were feasting on you blood 😉👍

I've fired .303 at Bisley. On a shot I was given a bull, but hadn't squeezed the trigger. 🤔

The guy to my left cried out "Sorry! Wrong target". So I changed position, took my shot, and gave him one in return. 🙂

"Thank you" he called back, and we carried on firing. 🤣

I've fired .303 at Bisley. On a shot I was given a bull, but hadn't squeezed the trigger. 🤔

The guy to my left cried out "Sorry! Wrong target". So I changed position, took my shot, and gave him one in return. 🙂

"Thank you" he called back, and we carried on firing. 🤣
Why were you firing at Bisley? Couldn't you just have sat down and talked about the problem in an adult fashion, instead of giving him bull ... :ROFLMAO:

I did work my way up the .22 competence scale in the CCF at King Edward's Grammar School, Stourbridge. 2nd Class Shot to First Class, and then, beating the Army liaison bod, to Marksman. Badge sewing on an industrial scale!

I also fired .303 and an SLR [no, not a camera ... :ROFLMAO:] with a dummy warhead fitted, at a Cadet Camp at Folkestone in 1967 or 68. No Ear Defenders issued, and we were all deaf as posts for about 3 days and shouting to be heard ...

Steve

Back