calor gas

andrew h smith

Free Member

I have two light weight 6 kg calor gas cylinders in my rollerteam t line 740 . It is increasingly difficult to find replacements . can anyone suggest alternatives ? we are hoping to travel to the continent next year so should we be thinking of replacing with LPG ?
Getting gas is becoming a problem

Bottled Gas is easily obtained over there most super market filling stations have it Intermarche are even installing self service racks for out of hrs and much cheaper than here
IMG_20210613_160131799.jpg France  March 2019 (1).JPG

But different fittings?
The bottle in picture is French propane with LH male thread just like a UK Butane. You'll save the cost of a new pigtail obtained from most stores on the first bottle of gas 2 years ago the bottle deposit was just €1. Or you can buy one of these to take with You

When we first went to France being aware of a difference we went with no gas bottles 2 hrs after leaving the ferry in Roscoff we where fitted out with hose and 2 bottles for less than what 1 bottle costs here and its cheaper again in Spain

Last edited:
We prefer our refillables as we only need to top up every 4 to 5 weeks.
But "Foreign Bottles and pigtails" works and is cheaper as a 1 off.
You will have seen posts saying lpg topping up is difficult in Uk.
This is correct but with planning it is Ok.
However yesterday we had a 40 mile detour to get LPG grrrr

I think I might get mesen a Gasit 6kg, and sod the expense, we have had refillable singles a few times, you just have to top up when you see it, fuel up at the same time if it's cheap enough.

What's to stop you having a refillable bottle and a replaceable bottle assuming your van can store both? Are they different gases?

Alan

We have a gasit 11kg refillable and Safefill 10kg side by side
Best of both worlds and fed through a Truma Duo CS regulator with Auto-changeover

For me a split system would be 2 seperate bottles and manual change.
Bottle 1 gasit or gaslow wirh proper fill point
Bottle 2 calor swappable ! (Or French)

I've had 2 Gaslow refillables for 3 years and, with foresight and planning, have had no real problems. I have two 11kg bottles and when the first is empty I switch to the 2nd and start looking for fill-up in vicinity/on route. If I come across LPG by chance then I fill up. IMHO it's less hassle than exchange bottles. You do need to ensure you have the right filling adapter for the country/territory your travelling in.

For me a split system would be 2 seperate bottles and manual change.
Bottle 1 gasit or gaslow wirh proper fill point
Bottle 2 calor swappable ! (Or French)
That is the setup I have. If I want to change source, turn off one bottle and turn on the other.

I like the concept of the added flexibility in case LPG can't be found (I don't think there are the issues with Calor in my area that other people seem to have experienced - maybe as Calor Gas is not just a 'leisure' thing in the Borders as there is a lot less mains gas pipes around, so supplies are more prioritised?)

I had a single 11kg Alugas refillable and a Calor 6kg as backup in my Dethleffs and after carrying the 6kg bottle around for three years without ever needing to use it ☹️ I decided to have two Alugas bottles when I bought my Hymer ;) Never had a problem getting gas so far (y)

Regards,
Del

Refillables every time for us (2 X Alugas). Only potential downside is returning through a northern Europe winter with tanks of southern European butane-rich LPG. Since liquid butane won't gasify below 4°C only the propane proportion will work. In fact, this has never caused us a problem.
We use apps to locate LPG pumps: myLPG.eu, Search for Sites, or the excellent Komparing.com website which locates all fuel stations in France, Spain and Portugal, with prices. Why wouldn't you top up if you know you'll be passing close to a cheap pump.

All Safefill bottles are 310 mm diameter and will not fit in a gas compartment designed for Calor 6kg propane which is about 260mm diameter check Safefill web site for specs.
Thanks , thats what i have decided to do ie keep a calor gas bottle in reserve and buy a safefill lpg refillable

Are Safefill bottles just refillable bottles or can you get a remote filler kit for it? If the former, you may have trouble filling bottles in France. Many service stations have signs saying it is prohibited to fill lpg bottles. The only way round this is to have an external filler point.

For me (not retired yet ) I could not get value out of fitting refables. . I got stainless pigtail 21.8 lh which fits french bottle with no adaptor. Then also you can add to end pol handwheel for uk callor plus spanish and german adaptors . A load of others but I just use those for which i have cylinders for each country bought off ebay. German gas is 22 euro 11kg French about the same and Spanish is only 12 euro for 11kg .
Nice simple and cheap . Also when van sells I can just keep foreign bottles and adaptors for next one.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back