camel/straw/back

rugbyken

my fridge has been a constant scourge of frustration it has worked indiffently for the last four years never cold but always cool meat would stay solid in the freezer but not ice cream , this autumn it has quit 4 times have renewed burner assembly, control panel , pcb & ribbon cable ,today service engineer came out renewed the bit i was told i needed no change apparently there’s a second pcb in the electronics & if it’s not that the coolant has gone, i was told a while back that these fridges were only in production for a couple of years and the model features in problem searches on various forums, so finally decision made i’m going to replace it had a look at the recommenced replacement £2,400 , the new one has doors that open both ways which would be handy but £2,400 ! thetford do a comparable fridge at only !! £1400 but i want the oven on the top so prob best to stick to the dometic that’s no chrissy presents for jan & i this year,

Mmn My sympathy but as it looks "Bullet, Bite" AND just think of it as £240 a year for 10 years !
With a decent fridge you save a fortune on camp-sites and even just £5 a night for EHU mounts up eg £5 x 50 =£250 easily done in a year !

Is a 240 domestic fridge running through an inverter not an answer. If mine failed, I’d be tempted . A tenth of the price.

When I was very young..I bought my sister "Cluedo" for Christmas because I wanted it ! Shame on me !

Can’t put a price on blissful silence in a remote spot.
He’s out fishing most of the time. Wouldn’t notice the difference 🤬

thanks for the thought oppy but mine is the larger type fridge freezer & oven in a tower 1515 tall an older model was £1600 but no longer available the newer one has these swivelling doors hence the price rise

Can’t put a price on blissful silence in a remote spot.
Blissful silence..?
That never happened to me , in 20 years of motoring.
Jenny once joked that we motorhomers would happily spend more on our vans, than our wives and mistresses..
"Not me ", I replied, " All 3 have cost me roughly the same.."

It's a lot of money but how much can you spend on trying to fix the old one and then add the waste food and the stress it has caused you plus you may have to replace it anyway.
I hope the Christmas present will be accepted by Jan and maybe the wine budget might take a bit as well.
Good luck, I hope the installation goes smoothly.

Mmn My sympathy but as it looks "Bullet, Bite" AND just think of it as £240 a year for 10 years !
With a decent fridge you save a fortune on camp-sites and even just £5 a night for EHU mounts up eg £5 x 50 =£250 easily done in a year !
Not wanting to sound pessimistic but the above calculation is only correct assuming the next fridge works. I purchased a new one, after installation £1700 and spent just short of another £1000 on repairs 2 years later

Wow, I had no idea of such an exorbitant replacement cost. So a short lived production of an original bad design it seems? Can't you just chill the beer in a wet towel on the roof? 🤔

I replaced the fridge freezer in my RV with a Beko domestic unit rated for outside use , at 1/8th the price . Run off hab batteries when not on EHU . It was a t least 8 times better in temperature stability , and was within 2cms different in size . i would never put up with antique absorption fridges ever again .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back