Can anybody update the Ducato dashboard to get lights?

GarethHowell

Our 2014 Ducato has the annoyance that the dashboard is only illuminated when the headlights are on. Stupid decision and I'm told it can be fixed, however I've been told it can only be done by a main dealer - and costs squillions.

Is there a cheaper solution?

Hi why not drive with lights on. I always do And I know a lot of other drivers do. That way if it gets cloudy rainy there already on. How many cars do you see in fog. Rain. No lights.

It's a good safety feature. Too many people drive around with no lights on. If the dash only illuminates when lights are on, then the thickos have to turn their lights on to see the dash.
My dashboard light dims when lights are on

Same here with both the works citroen... The, boxer before it AND the ducato motorhome....

Lights always on regardless of road conditions....

The more visible I am the better IMHO.

Especially as the works vans are both silver.... And in winter conditions that's not a great colour visibility wise,

The motorhome is bright white BUT I'm still not taking chances.

I think the power used by lights especially LEDs is negligible when compared to the consequences of someone forgetting to put their lights on.

Flashing blue ambulance lights probably use quiet a bit !

So much for saving energy to protect the planet.
It's really really not going to make that much difference....

Especially as most of us are driving a great un aerodynamic brick, carrying a load of stuff around that never gets used, with tyres that probably only get checked for inflation when they look flat, whilst charging leisure batteries that we only ever use a fraction of the capacity... Driving to places we don't actually NEED to go to....
As well as the odd foreign holiday flights, eating too much meat, and having far too many children....

I think the power used by lights especially LEDs is negligible when compared to the consequences of someone forgetting to put their lights on.

Flashing blue ambulance lights probably use quiet a bit !
And Operating Theatre lights use even more power ... As do Fire Engines powering cutting machinery. Not forgetting all the vehicles in the queue whilst the recovery is underway ...

Must dash, my brakes have failed and I need to drive home quickly to avoid an accident ... :rolleyes:

Steve

@GarethHowell, this is or rather was once a much reported issue and if you Google you will find lots of threads on the subject, , e.g. I just read this below , so you best start by contacting a Fiat professional dealer:

A software revision that causes the instrument-cluster’s illumination to come on with the ignition can be applied, BUT ONLY TO X290 FIAT DUCATOS. The software revision is ‘on demand’ and (at least in the UK) free-of-charge.

Surely if it's that dark that you can't see the dashboard then you need the lights on anyway? Or new glasses.
I've never thought it would be a problem for anyone, aren't all vehicles the same?

We have a 2013 Ducatto. I just leave the lights on. They go off with the ignition so no flat battery.
I think that we ought to adopt the scandinavion rule, whilst driving you always have your headlights on.

Paul
That’s why the ‘van has daylight running lamps.

Surely if it's that dark that you can't see the dashboard then you need the lights on anyway? Or new glasses.
I've never thought it would be a problem for anyone, aren't all vehicles the same?
The problem occurs in sunlight. The overall lighting level is too great to then see the dash unless the headlights are on.

Lots of interesting sideline comments, but nobody has answered the question. Anybody?

@GarethHowell, this is or rather was once a much reported issue and if you Google you will find lots of threads on the subject, , e.g. I just read this below , so you best start by contacting a Fiat professional dealer:

A software revision that causes the instrument-cluster’s illumination to come on with the ignition can be applied, BUT ONLY TO X290 FIAT DUCATOS. The software revision is ‘on demand’ and (at least in the UK) free-of-charge.

As you say. I find the instruments, mainly the Speedo, difficult to see in bright conditions. I asked the Fiat dealer if they could carryout the software update, they reported that they were already at max from the factory.

I think/hope this issue has been addressed in the face lift.

Driving with headlights on in the day? Just be careful of that guy in the side road that thinks you flashed him out because you went over a bump...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back