Canals and waterways

Iandsm

We are planning a trip following the Kennet and Avon canal and would very much appreciate any tips or suggestions on campsites and pub stops especially those with a view of or actually on the canal. Thanks in anticipation.

Some years ago I cycled along the canal system from Hertfordshire to Bristol, which took in the Kennett and Avon canal, among others.
One of the most memorable stops was in my tent at the Barge Inn, Honeystreet.
I see that they still have camping facilities and accept motorhomes.
The pub attracts large groups of crop circle enthusiasts (I had a great time with them!) and at that time some of the pub had some great murals given over to crop circles.
This link may help you decide if it's for you:

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Some years ago I cycled along the canal system from Hertfordshire to Bristol, which took in the Kennett and Avon canal, among others.
One of the most memorable stops was in my tent at the Barge Inn, Honeystreet.
I see that they still have camping facilities and accept motorhomes.
The pub attracts large groups of crop circle enthusiasts (I had a great time with them!) and at that time some of the pub had some great murals given over to crop circles.
This link may help you decide if it's for you:

Colin 🙂🙂🙂
Last we heard it closed down, but website suggests otherwise. I would check first though
Weird place for sure (but fun)
One one of our cycle camping trips to the south of france we got dropped off at South Mimms (M25) and cycled home (Melksham) and it was pretty much all canal back surprisingly. DIdn't stop there, wrong place for us at the tine.

We are planning a trip following the Kennet and Avon canal and would very much appreciate any tips or suggestions on campsites and pub stops especially those with a view of or actually on the canal. Thanks in anticipation.
We are going to a CCC rally this week at Bradford on Avon which is right on the Kennet and Avon Canal , the Bee Hive field which used to have a pub, the canal is not visible from this venue but is about 150 yards away along the road, another CCC rally we use is Brass Knocker Basin again CCC and is also a very short walk to the Canal and also the old Coal Canal which is /was part of the Kennet and Avon Canal, an easy bike, ride canal side to Bath and Trowbridge both sites highly recommended.

Last we heard it closed down, but website suggests otherwise. I would check first though
Weird place for sure (but fun)
One one of our cycle camping trips to the south of france we got dropped off at South Mimms (M25) and cycled home (Melksham) and it was pretty much all canal back surprisingly. DIdn't stop there, wrong place for us at the tine.
I do hope not, I have fond memories taking my small children on inflatable boat rides from Bishops Cannings to the Barge for lunch.

Some time later I used to visit after helping keep the candles alight that they put around the white horse for my birthday.

Edit, Just looked on google and FB and they are still going.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back