Canterbury.

runnach

Glad we stopped over. Decided to take the bike instead of bus, along with pooch trailer, which was a good move. What a lovely place it is, we’ll worth spending some time there, if you have the time, of course.

Park and ride setup is excellent, too. Well done the council 👍

ED380EEA-0CAC-4985-9378-F22253C9D582.jpegA5A0B4E7-E439-4260-BC19-DA6DABB248B9.jpegE185517F-0F7F-4C34-B3C8-B0C50E24A26A.jpeg00B51371-7562-447E-912B-95D32D4F5045.jpeg1794FAC3-0DE9-451E-9EB6-9C44F2678822.jpeg

Yes, we usually stop 2 nights.
We did on way out but will drive straight to Maidenhead on way back !
M25 permitting.
I think they allow dogs on the bus but check.
There is a big Jaguar dealer at the far end of the main street.
At the other end "Poundland"

We love Canterbury Terry (sister went to teacher training college there many years back) and it has some great pubs. However we draw the line at having to pay a small fortune each to visit the cathedral when most other cathedral cities either don’t charge or are certainly much less than Canterbury. We must have lived in Scotland for too long!

Yes Tony, some make the mistake of thinking churches (or more precisely their finance "gods") should be charitable.
Oh no they are amongst the bigger landowners and have very shrewd/greedy advisors.
Canterbury is in a prime location re foreign tourists so they "scam" as much as they can.
Cunical moi ?

M25 permitting.
T
M25 permitting.
Phil, dog was ok to travel on bus, we made the correct decision to cycle with dog in his doggyhut/trailer. Was hot today and always concerned with hot pavements on fragile paws. We cover more ground with the bikes.

Noticed £ land, not the jag dealer.

M25 permitting.
T
We love Canterbury Terry (sister went to teacher training college there many years back) and it has some great pubs. However we draw the line at having to pay a small fortune each to visit the cathedral when most other cathedral cities either don’t charge or are certainly much less than Canterbury. We must have lived in Scotland for too long!
£14 pp to access Cathedral, while I’m sure an interesting old building with unique features, we prefer to see as much of the town as possible, rather than faff around a Cathedral. Abbey is same cost, with what we could see from roadside, mostly a pile of stones.

We did have a nice meal though!!

Tight gits. :eek:

We camped and visited earlier this year, and like you, loved the city inside its medieval walls.

How about this for the cathedral's soaring Perpendicular Gothic Architecture:

139_Canterbury_Cathedral_The Nave_11th May 2022.jpeg
14thC Nave.

149_Canterbury_Cathedral_12thC The Quire_11th May 2022.jpeg
12thC Quire.

142_Canterbury_Cathedral_The Chapter House_11th May 2022.jpeg
Late 14thC Chapter House.

That's 14 quid (each) you owe me. :LOL:

Alway go in to Canterbury when using the overnight park and ride there before tunnel crossing.
We wanted go in the cathedral but I refused to pay Entrance fee.
So we took advice from a local who said go to the next service they can not charge fir normal services we had great evening .
Walked around did the service.

And yes the arch Bishop was on his perch.

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
The 15thC Rosslyn Chapel looks really lovely, and I'll visit next time I'm nearby. Even the guidebook is available in English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Japanese and Mandarin, and all as a free PDF download. Well done them. (y)

Pity you can't take photos. :(

The 15thC Rosslyn Chapel looks really lovely, and I'll visit next time I'm nearby. Even the guidebook is available in English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Japanese and Mandarin, and all as a free PDF download. Well done them. (y)

Pity you can't take photos. :(
There’s a campsite more or less next door to the chapel.

I've just had a dekko and I think you both mean Slatebarns, being a caravan club CL. It's just over the road and I initially thought that'll do very nicely, until I read a review posted today:-

"There is plenty of room but I did feel the spirit of the CL isn't being kept to. On three of the nights there were 6 units and on 2 of the nights I stayed there were 7 with 1 squeezed on the grass between me and the hedge. The extras seemed to have turned up unannounced."

I've downloaded the Chapel's PDF Guide and will still visit, so many thanks. (y)

PS: To wind people up regarding costs, that CL is (coff) £18/night, and £4 dearer than Canterbury Cathedral. LOL

I've just had a dekko and I think you both mean Slatebarns, being a caravan club CL. It's just over the road and I initially thought that'll do very nicely, until I read a review posted today:-

"There is plenty of room but I did feel the spirit of the CL isn't being kept to. On three of the nights there were 6 units and on 2 of the nights I stayed there were 7 with 1 squeezed on the grass between me and the hedge. The extras seemed to have turned up unannounced."

I've downloaded the Chapel's PDF Guide and will still visit, so many thanks. (y)

PS: To wind people up regarding costs, that CL is (coff) £18/night, and £4 dearer than Canterbury Cathedral. LOL
OUCH!!

But what is the Aire like at the park and ride? Last time we were there it was rammed with Johnny Foreigner and not at all inviting but the height barrier to the main carpark was broken so we went into the carpark over the road from the Aire, behind the huge hedge and shared the whole area with just two other (UK) vans.
K ;)

But what is the Aire like at the park and ride? Last time we were there it was rammed with Johnny Foreigner and not at all inviting but the height barrier to the main carpark was broken so we went into the carpark over the road from the Aire, behind the huge hedge and shared the whole area with just two other (UK) vans.
K ;)
I parked at the extended part, turn right once through access barrier, glad I did this, as in the morning the water drop area got busy. There was a mixed bag of MH,s from various EU countries + two tag axle Hymers from Norway. Folks I spoke with were very nice and polite.

Thing is, if you are on an aire in France, they are also rammed with Johnny Foreigner, and that can be us.

Aye, the Aire area itself was so rammed full there was no room for us at all. Not surprised really being so close to the ports. The large area we stayed on as mentioned was empty of cars and almost empty of vans so it was great for us but it was only accessible as the height barriers were out of action.
As Northumbrians anyone south of Scotch Corner is a Johnny Foreigner to us ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back