Caravan and Motorhome Club

DocMartin

Is it worth joining? I find it difficult to find prices but I suspect that is because they are expensive and don't want you to know until you've joined. As a member the website says you save £12 a night by not paying the non member site fee. Can anyone give me some sample prices for their main sites please.

Think sometimes it’s more a question of non members not being able to stay at their sites.
In our experience M&C sites are more expensive so you can still pay £25-£30 a night it’s more a question of where their sites are and how keen you are to stay in that specific area.

Club sites are typically £25 to £30 depending on season for 2 adults + van. I suspect that the whole point of the clubs for most of us here is the network of certified locations- 5 van sites. We paid £3.50 on one recently but they do go up to £20 or more depending on location and facilities.

We've only ever used the CL/CS 5 pitch type sites (don't like big sites with clubs/pools etc)

Most expensive one we use is £10 per night.... Cheapest £7 per night

Basic water tap/chemical dump point and usually very peaceful....

That said,
neither of them are bothered IF you are members or not,
so our membership is really only a insurance policy if we are asked for membership details by somewhere we fancy staying.

Is anyone finding that site fees are going up? We use the CL's quite a lot but some of them are charging £30.00!!! One of them even chased my enquiry when I did not follow through with a booking. I told them that their charges were too much for a night's stay on their field.
The cheapest we have found is £3.00 per night. We asked why so cheap and they said that at that price they never get any complaints. Makes sense to me.

Is it worth joining? I find it difficult to find prices but I suspect that is because they are expensive and don't want you to know until you've joined. As a member the website says you save £12 a night by not paying the non member site fee. Can anyone give me some sample prices for their main sites please.

Hi

I just did an example booking as a member and non member for you. I chose the Cirencester Park site randomly:

For the 2 nights of 09/10 - 11/10 for 2 adults in an 8m MH it was £46.20

For non members it was £70.20
yikes.gif

That includes a £12 per night non member supplement added to the member price.

The "saving" is a myth as far as I am concerned. I have always found that the fees for members at Club sites are still higher than nearby private sites. We are members for one reason only - we use the extensive network of CL (5 van) sites, which are privately owned, licenced through the CMC and are generally good value. You cannot use these sites unless you join the Club.

The "saving" is a myth as far as I am concerned. I have always found that the fees for members at Club sites are still higher than nearby private sites. We are members for one reason only - we use the extensive network of CL (5 van) sites, which are privately owned, licenced through the CMC and are generally good value. You cannot use these sites unless you join the Club.

I'd agree with most of that......

However I've only ever been asked for membership details once in all the years I've been a member...

Most of the owners of the cl/cs sites have been far more concerned with taking the cold hard cash from me lol

Each time the new and very comprehensive site guide is published, as a tight git, I slowly go through all their CL listings as well as at the same time making use of their website, checking out the reviews and then marking up the guide of all sites which in tick my must have boxes, these being, rural, good reviews, larger than 1.5 acres etc. etc. and most importantly price which in my case I exclude any site with night stop charges higher than £15.

Of my selection, some even have showers and toilets as well as EHU's but as we are self sufficient we don't need these facilities.

As for their main Club Sites, the only time I ever go near to one is when I am en route to the Channel Tunnel, but for the remainder of the time I keep as far away as possible as I find them far too overcrowded, far too regimented and far, far, far too expensive!

We are members of both big clubs but were n the verge of cancelling membership of the C&CC as we were simply not using their sites. As the future is uncertain regarding foreign travel and hence we may be spending more time in the UK, we have decided to keep both memberships gong for another year. Both clubs have extended this years membership by 3 months to cover the time when they were closed due to lockdown.

We find the C&MC better for us as the site near the Chunnel in Folkestone is very handy (we always stay overnight there prior to crossing). We also use the one in Cirencester a great deal as we used to live there and our son works there, so we can stay there and catch up with him and old friends.

We have never used a CL or a CS yet from the 2 clubs we are members of (although perversely we have stayed at an MC CL/CS site!) from memory, as we like sites with full facilities plus sites near to towns/canals/pubs etc. Of course given current circumstances this may well change and in fact we are discussing whether we should use more CL/CS type sites as we are avoiding towns/cities/pubs now due to this blasted virus!

I'd agree with most of that......

However I've only ever been asked for membership details once in all the years I've been a member...

Most of the owners of the cl/cs sites have been far more concerned with taking the cold hard cash from me lol

That is true but if an inspector calls and you are not a member, the CL owner will be penalised - to the extent that his site will be closed down if he keeps repeating the "offence". We have been on CLs when the Inspector called and they are pretty ruthless. The user will not be penalised - except in that if the site closes we all suffer. Most CL owners I have met are nice people who are just trying to earn a crust so I can see why it is tempting for them to break the rules but, precisely because they are nice, we shouldn't put them in that position.

With both CAMC OR C&CC .if you want to use then join up. We only use C&CC and their certified sites..Usually £15 or so!

interestingly freinds tuggers go to la manga with the ccc rally for 3/4 months after christmas ,this year they the ccc decided not to hold rallies abroad and cancelled the site , the rallies already had a facebook group & have started a more secure page & booked the site themselves some there already , in the meantime cc&m have stepped in and booked a rally there themselves apparently with a gaurentee for future years

That is true but if an inspector calls and you are not a member, the CL owner will be penalised - to the extent that his site will be closed down if he keeps repeating the "offence". We have been on CLs when the Inspector called and they are pretty ruthless. The user will not be penalised - except in that if the site closes we all suffer. Most CL owners I have met are nice people who are just trying to earn a crust so I can see why it is tempting for them to break the rules but, precisely because they are nice, we shouldn't put them in that position.
Firstly...
I've been a member of the 'friendly' club for many years

Secondly....
A good few site owners have binned off their participation of the ccc due to over zealous treatment.. BUT remained open to all.

Thirdly...

I wasn't saying membership was a bad thing... Just few owners seem to be bothered about membership...
And its certainly not my job to police it.

Firstly...
I've been a member of the 'friendly' club for many years

Secondly....
A good few site owners have binned off their participation of the ccc due to over zealous treatment.. BUT remained open to all.

Thirdly...

I wasn't saying membership was a bad thing... Just few owners seem to be bothered about membership...
And its certainly not my job to police it.

I've never been a member of the C&CC. As I said at the beginning, my comments were in relation to the CMC, its sites and its CLs - and I stand by those comments.

Members of both... for the 5 pitch sites. C&MC also for van insurance ... gives us something like 360 days abroad. Discount with C&CC for RAC Arrivals zone 3 for breakdown across all Europe and Turkey.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back