Carrot Cake Recipe

mariesnowgoose

A few folk at Druridge asked for the recipe for the carrot cake, so here it is.
This makes 2 x 9" (22cm) square trays or one round 'sandwich' type cake.

Ingredients

175g / 6oz light brown sugar
2 large eggs
150ml / 5 fl.oz / two-thirds cup walnut oil
110g / 4oz stoneground wholemeal flour
60g / 2oz rye flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Half teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Juice of half an orange
200g / 7oz carrots coarsely grated (I wash & peel the carrots first before weighing)
Handful of chopped or crushed walnuts
Handful of chopped or crushed roasted hazelnuts
1 capful of almond liqueur (I used Amaretto liqueur from either Aldi or Lidl? It's made by Veroni. I guess any kind of nut liqueur would do)

For the Icing

225g / 8oz cream cheese (I used Mascarpone, but any cream cheese will do)
110g / 4 oz unsalted butter
225g / 8oz icing sugar
Juice of half an orange
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used the proper stuff, but synthetic will do)

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 190c (170c fan) gas 5
2. Line either 2 x 20cm round cake tins with greaseproof paper, or grease (with either butter or oil) 2 aluminium disposable baking/roasting trays 22cm (9 inches) square and at least 5cm (2 inches) deep (easier to pack, transport & store)
3. Whisk the sugar, eggs and walnut oil together for 3 mins or so until thick
4. Mix in the squeezed orange juice & almond liqueur
5. Fold in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon & nutmeg (I stir these 4 ingredients together in a separate bowl first before folding in, and I don't actually fold - I whisk the whole lot together with an electric hand whisk!)
6. Add the grated carrots last. These I DO fold in.
7. Divide the mixture between the 2 round cake tins or into 2 square disposable baking trays.
8. Bake for 30-35 mins. My oven is fan-assisted and it takes exactly 30 mins, but everyone's oven is different, so test with a wooden toothpick or skewer after 30 mins and if it comes out clean the cake is done, if not leave in oven for another 5 mins or so.
9. Leave cake to cool completely

To make the icing beat together the cream cheese & butter until light and fluffy then gradually beat in the icing sugar a bit at a time.
Add the fresh orange juice & vanilla extract and whisk the mixture for another 2 mins or so until smooth & light.

Spread over top of square cakes and decorate (or not!) with mini carrots (get these from the baking section of most supermarkets, 12 in a packet)

If you've use round cake tins, use half the icing to sandwich the two cakes together and the other half goes over the top of the cake.

You can grate a little more nutmeg on top of the icing to finish off if you want.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back