Changing gas bottles - no spanner?

MarkJ

Free Member

Changing gas bottles - no spanner?

It being a freezing cold day I’m amusing myself sitting in the warm with a cup of tea actually reading the handbook that came with my van.

In the Gas section it says several times only to connect the flexible gas hoses to the gas cylinders hand tight, do not use spanners.

I’ve always used a spanner, though I’m conscious they are brass fittings so you don’t want to over tighten.

Anyone else just use their bare hands?

When I used the Calor connecter with the red wheel, yes. Otherwise if the connector has a hex knut then I would use a spanner as that it was what it was designed for. However, as you say they are relatively easy to overtighten - I think thats why Calor decided/recommend(?) the one with the red wheel.

British or continental manufacturer ?

when i used exchange cylinders usually propane i always used a spanner to tighten it up

Now have gaslow which has a rubber seal in the tail so you can’t tighten that too much or you destroy the seal

MarkJ;n19722 said:
It being a freezing cold day I’m amusing myself sitting in the warm with a cup of tea actually reading the handbook that came with my van.

In the Gas section it says several times only to connect the flexible gas hoses to the gas cylinders hand tight, do not use spanners.

I’ve always used a spanner, though I’m conscious they are brass fittings so you don’t want to over tighten.

Anyone else just use their bare hands?

The video from Gas-It states that the connections are an interference fit & should be tightened with a spanner as tight as you can:

Video:

Just to say, these are the conventional Calor 6kg propane orange/red jobbies I’m talking about. The connector pipe has a hex nut on it....obv designed for a spanner as cronkle said.

The pictures in the manual clearly show something similar, so maybe in Germany they do it differently?

Last edited:
The propane connector with the red wheel also had a rubber seal on it so wont need cranking up

the standard tail is all brass and there is no seal , i seem to remember these often had to be tight to stop leaks

Trek;n19760 said:
The propane connector with the red wheel also had a rubber seal on it so wont need cranking up

the standard tail is all brass and there is no seal , i seem to remember these often had to be tight to stop leaks

so it’s this sort versus that sort (see pictures). Never seen one with a wheel, hence my ignorance.

Attachments

• 5AE501B5-6D77-43D5-AE76-9A9733EEC8CE.jpeg
    5AE501B5-6D77-43D5-AE76-9A9733EEC8CE.jpeg
    5.9 KB · Views: 1
  • B0CAAE82-D572-4EF8-9AE2-E6FF40FF8C9A.jpeg
    B0CAAE82-D572-4EF8-9AE2-E6FF40FF8C9A.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 1
the red wheel type is great, worth changing to, nice soft rubber seal , a good hand tighten is enough , on the other i tighten with a 10'' spanner and then give it a clout or 2 off my fist

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back