Citroen Relay: unable to find all gears.

starcott

Citroen Relay 2016 13k miles. Unable to get all the gears when engine is running. No trouble finding all gear positions when ignition is off, but with engine ticking over the only gears available are second, third and fourth.
I have read a few comments on other forums about similar situations where the suggested remedy was to spray WD40 onto the mechanism. However, most of these problems seem to be cases where the selection of the gears was difficult but not impossible.
Other suggestion have mentioned renewing the gearbox oil.
Having only 13k miles, I would have hoped that all was well inside the gearbox.
I have yet to get under the gearbox to view the mechanism to see if all seems to be moving freely, but in the meantime,
I would be interested to know if anyone else has had similar trouble, and if so, how was the matter sorted.

Has it been parked up for any extended periods?

Our work Boxers were prone to gear selection issues if left parked for more than a month or so as the gear mechanism under the bonnet/dashboard got wet and would basically sieze up...

Same with the screen wiper linkage

Assuming it's the same as the previous model (2013) you don't need to get under the van. It is accessible from the top and is just below and behind the air filter. It's a bit awkward to get to but worth giving an occasional squirt with the lubricant of choice.

It has been parked up for a few weeks, but the last time it went out it was ok for about 10 miles before the gear choices became a problem. I have tried to get some lubricant to the moving parts from under the bonnet, using piece of tubing, but I don't think it was very thorough.
How is it that 3 gears are accessible, but not the other 4?

My gear change linkage is starting to stiffen up again .luckily it's in the garage on Monday so I'll get one of the lads to grease the linkage again.

Bear in mind WD40 is not a lubricant as it displaces oil, grease and crud. Once WD40’d go over with a suitable lube.
I've been under the vehicle and thoroughly oiled a rusty metal bar, one end of which goes into a rubber sleeve. That's the only part I can see which is connecting to the gear mechanism.
I have removed the gaiter around the gear lever and put silicone grease around the plastic ball which now seems to move a little more freely.
However, it is still difficult to get the gears when the engine is ticking over, the most difficult being reverse gear.
Have I missed any moving parts which need lubricating`?

It’s difficult to diagnose without seeing it in real life. Whereabouts are you in case there’s someone on here who just happens to be around the corner and can have a lookie.

Does sound like like clutch.
When the engine is running, apply light pressure to gear lever. Change the engine rpm slowly, if the gear selects at a certain rpm then I would definitely suspect clutch.

I'm very close to J33 of the M6.
If I found a gear selected at a certain rpm, are you suspecting the clutch would need renewing?

worth checking if clutch cylinder needs bleeding or fluid change.
I'd get an indie garage to check clutch over.
I had to have a clutch changed on MH after 9k miles due to rust damage to thrust bearing and pressure plate springs.
As with most things on a MH, lack off use causes more damage than wear.

After several weeks, making sure the cables ends were moving freely and well lubricated, I eventually went to my local garage for a diagnosis. The mechanic was certain I needed a new clutch since I had no trouble selecting all the gears when the engine was not running.
So I went ahead and I now have a new clutch, but the problem remains.
To get reverse I have I have to put the clutch pedal down and turn off the engine.
To get some of the forward gears when on the move, lots of pushing of the lever is needed which usually generates metallic noises.
The garage is now suggesting both the master and the slave cylinder need replacing..
Is this a likely solution to the problem, or could bleeding the system be worth doing first?
The engine has only 13000 miles covered.

• Sad
Reactions: Rec
Worth watching this it needs a good soaking with lubricant

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back