Cleaning wheels

Definately are available. As mentioned previously, I bought some for my Renault Master of the same generation.
Search for "deep dish". I can't see airflow as being a factor - any heat is generated at the rear where the brakes are.

Thanks Boots but the centre of the wheels stick out too much for wheel trims.
Maybe some will fit. But for now the "Paint job" seems to have worked.
Will have to wait and see, but happy to redo every 2 or 3 years. ?

Last edited:
Definately are available. As mentioned previously, I bought some for my Renault Master of the same generation.
Search for "deep dish". I can't see airflow as being a factor - any heat is generated at the rear where the brakes are.
Yes I have now found some thanks.
Will see how the "paint job" looks over time.

All the 17 in wheel trims are too fussy or will not fit.
I also believe they are easily lost.
The small wheelnut cpvers in place fit pretty securely so happy with the original system and the re-painted wheels.20220521_153930.jpg

Next job (maybe) to re-paint the metal below the cab doors.
Probably use hammerite smooth white. Preceeded by a layer of elbow grease.

Advice please !
I want to tidy up the cab door lower surround.
20220519_172502.jpg
The area in question is the sill below the door. And the small area on the wheel arch, below the black trim.

I plan brush on paint maybe hammerite smooth white.

I have smoothed the area with wet and dry.
Does using very fine wet amd dry after painting help.
Any comments or suggestions please?
I will also paint the bottom frame edges with the door open.
Thanks
Ps I will not paint any of the actual door.

I had a similar situation with my VW T4 ...
Before
image_19 by David, on Flickr

Sanded down and smoothed ready for painting
image_20 by David, on Flickr

Painted
image_21 by David, on Flickr

The work was ONLY on the lower sill and going up the wheelarch. The door was not painted at all in this process.
I used paint mixed up by a paint shop and chose cellulose as it needs no lacquer top-coat (simplify the process!). I used my spray-gun and compressor but a decent paint supplier can match the paint and put it into an aerosol to allow you (or maybe Nida ;) ) to spray without any extra tools. You will need primer first, but get that from the paint supplier as well.

Alternative option: spray the lower sill and arch with black chip guard and extend the black bumper line. Obviously need to do that both sides :)
Before Arch painting
IMG_20171006_161132 by David, on Flickr

After (ignore stripes - talking arch only)
IMG_20171014_145951 by David, on Flickr

Thanks Dave,
Nice to have a 2nd option.
In touch with Bilt H
Take it from me that Bilt Hamber products are the best you can buy and 100% British as well.

I use their utterly brilliant Surfex HD (I buy it in 5 ltr bottles), this I thin down quite considerably with water an use it to clean anything from our induction hob, the glass of our wood burning stove, oil and grease removal on the engine, black streaks on the body work and coming back to topic the wheels of all our vehicles where it is a the dogs danglies on alloy wheels.

As for your Renault Master wheels, are you sure they are 17" as the ones fitted to mine are 16"?

Also as for the wheels, I cleaned mine up thoroughly before then rubbing them down and then brush painted them with satin finish black paint and they look now 100% better than they did before.

If you are going to use Hammerite on a panel I recommend you use a spray can to avoid brush marks.
Everything depends on how good a finish you are aiming for or if you just want to slow the rot.
One alternative you might consider is to finish whatever base coats you use with a black stonechip protection type spray paint which will not look bad below white panels.: just reread Wildebus post and see he got there first ;)
Good luck
K ;)

I will add in one thing ... if there is one colour that is extremely hard to get a match for, it is white! So painting the arch and sill with an off-the-shelf paint is 99.999% guaranteed to stand out and be noticable.
If the aim is to make it look tidier then it is currently, IMHO using hammerite is not the solution.

Best/Simplest DIY solution with a decent result is the black stonechip I would say.

PS. Talking wheels, I just noticed in the pictures of my stripey van, that also shows the before and after of steel wheel renovation. very ugly looking wheels before and then sandblasted and powercoated after.

Thanks all.
The area to be painted has a natural break ie the door so 100% matching not needed. Indeed if Hammerite lools bad I can alwaus overrspray with Renault Arctic white. Which will still not match exactly as the pait on the doors will have faded due to ageing.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back