Clutch problem - where to get it fixed?

joncaton

I've got a clutch problem with my Ducato based Adria Coral.
Clutch pedal went to the floor just as we were setting off to the Hereford meet in August.
Local garage wasn't sure if it was clutch master or slave cylinder, as there was no fluid leak.
Garage replaced the master cylinder and everything seemed OK.
We went to Devon two weeks ago but towards the end of the week the clutch pedal went again. Managed to get the van home from Barnstaple to Wiltshire with no clutch - an interesting journey!!
The garage has checked everything over (and even tried another master cylinder) but it looks as if it's the slave that's gone.
The problem is that the van is a 2011 Ducato with the slave cylinder inside the bellhousing, so slave replacement is a gearbox out procedure.
The garage has a workshop big enough to get the van in but their lifts aren't big enough to raise it and drop the gearbox out. They've tried to find somewhere else local to get it done, but with no success. As soon as they mention it's a motorhome, no one wants to know!

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for somewhere that could do this job. (I suppose if all else fails I'll have to resort to Fiat Professional, which no doubt, will cost an arm and a leg!)
We are in North Wiltshire (Chippenham, Cirencester, Swindon area) although it looks as if we may have to get it recovered to somewhere a little further afield.

Any suggestions welcomed .............

We took ours to the garage which deals with the local council vans...used to be Servo. Not in your area though. Hope someone comes along soon with ideas. What a pain!

I take my motorhome to a commercial vehicle garage that doesn't have a ramp at all, but a pit. Eliminates all issues with height, weights, etc. I am sure they cannot be that rare?

Try an ambulance station garage that does MOTs.

I had the same issue a couple of months ago, luckily it was outside the bellhousing.

I had a new gearbox fitted last year and was told to replace the slave cylinder as its inside the belhousing.
IIRC, when I had the DMF replaced on my VW T5, the slave cylinder was also replaced as a matter of policy. Similar principle of changing Water Pump on many vehicles when changing timing belt - may as well while that area is apart.

I can't help you for North Wiltshire, but I can recommend Graham Dimmer in Salisbury if you dare to venture this far south! They have been going since the 80s, my mate has taken his motorhome there for all kinds of work for years, not just MOT. I've used them for replacement front wheel bearing, they are very knowledgeable. They might not be the very cheapest, but still better value than the main stealer and they are not cowboys. They can certainly accomodate vans up to 3500 kg, I don't know whether the Adria Coral comes within that weight.

I take my motorhome to a commercial vehicle garage that doesn't have a ramp at all, but a pit. Eliminates all issues with height, weights, etc. I am sure they cannot be that rare?
Strangely enough, my local garage does have a pit and they could physically do the job. The trouble is that the bay with the pit is also the main MOT bay. I think that they're worried that if they hit a snag with the gearbox, it would tie up the bay for the normal MOT work!

I can't help you for North Wiltshire, but I can recommend Graham Dimmer in Salisbury if you dare to venture this far south! They have been going since the 80s, my mate has taken his motorhome there for all kinds of work for years, not just MOT. I've used them for replacement front wheel bearing, they are very knowledgeable. They might not be the very cheapest, but still better value than the main stealer and they are not cowboys. They can certainly accomodate vans up to 3500 kg, I don't know whether the Adria Coral comes within that weight.
Thanks for the info Bartman. The Coral is under 3.5t so I might well give them a call. I'll have to have it transported to a garage anyway, so I don't suppose Salisbury would be much more cost than somewhere local .

Make sure it's not the pedal assist shocker on the clutch pedal causing this issue
easy to see if it has one ,look under the dash at the pedal and it's a small telescope/ absorber .pops off with a lever /screwdriver ,I take it when the pedal went to the floor if you put your foot under the pedal and brought it up to the top it worked ok again?

Try Mr Clutch in Swindon - they're very competitive on clutches so adding in a slave cylinder shouldn't cost too much extra while they're in there.

I use a garage in Yeovil that would take your van, let me know if you need their details, it used to be for commercials

Make sure it's not the pedal assist shocker on the clutch pedal causing this issue
easy to see if it has one ,look under the dash at the pedal and it's a small telescope/ absorber .pops off with a lever /screwdriver ,I take it when the pedal went to the floor if you put your foot under the pedal and brought it up to the top it worked ok again?
No, we're fairly sure its the slave cylinder. When the pedal goes down there's no clutch action at all. Pumping it with restore it for short while but the action ceases again pretty quickly.

I use a garage in Yeovil that would take your van, let me know if you need their details, it used to be for commercials
Thanks for that. I think I might have it sorted. Have been told that a commercial vehicle garage in Swindon regularly does clutches on vans.
Going to contact them tomorrow. If they don't come through I might take you up on those details!

Thanks for all the advice. Repair now booked with Greenmeadow in Swindon. They're listed as commercial vehicle repairers (ie. lorries, etc.) but it turns out that they regularly do clutches on vans. Service chap seemed to be quite knowledgeable on what was required for the Ducato.
Local garage got the van transported to Swindon and repair is scheduled for next week.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back