Condensation or damp?

Kezzageo

Condensation or damp?

We have a brand new motorhome that is just a few months old & we found it to have a water ingress, a local dealer did a damp check & it was 90% in some areas.
The motorhome went back to the original selling dealers so they could sort out the leak & dry the van out.
On collection after the work was done, the damp meter read 10%, one week later it reads 24% in some areas.

We have contacted trading standards & understand that we can reject the vehicle after allowing one chance for the dealer to get it right, so we have told the dealer we want to reject the vehicle but obviously they want to do their own checks to make sure it's not condensation, but my question is how would they know if it's condensation? Is there a percentage that the damp meter goes up to with condensation & then once it passes that percentage it must be damp?

If 90 percent, I would run a mile. If possible demand money back. Don't mess around. I dont think condensation should not have that effect. It would worry me for ever and a day.

We tend to think that any moisture is a worry, but it seems some is acceptable.
0-15%.....nothing to worry about
15-20%..... Something to be noted and checked at the next service
20-24%..possible early signs of water ingress
25-30%....remedial work necessary
31% and above, structural damage is occuring.

Your reading look suspicious.

Well there is a way but it depends on the location.

Tape clear polythene over the area, seal all the edges with tape.

If its condensation it will form over the top of the polythene.

If its damp it will form underneath the polythene.

Good luck.

:Umbrella_Rain_Drops :Umbrella_Rain_Drops :Umbrella_Rain_Drops

Get your money back,but first make sure you dont sleep walk,i had a mate used to do this and went into wardrobe for a jimmy riddle at night.:White_Thumbs_Down_S

As most people using a damp meter don't have a clue what they are doing and are using poor quality equipment it is often hard to tell the difference between condensation and damp .
I investigated damp in an old Victorian Manor House where the owners had been told that the whole library had to be ripped out and all the plaster removed to install a new damp proof course.
Turned out it was the hopper on the guttering and the water was coming from above.
Fixed in half an hour !
My idiot inner voice did its usual when asked what do we owe you "That's alright don't worry about it "

To accurately check for damp I would be tempted to gain a recommendation from other owners, I believe a lot of dealers are not that skilled and always a chance tell porkies.

it is easy to get an inaccurate reading ambient temps can make a difference to some meters

Channa

I am surprised at how easily condensation develops, we keep our fleece dressing gowns in a top locker . If I leave the locker door closed then condensation develops however once I remove the garments it will gradually evaporate. It is definitely condensation as it remains dry when empty even after a downpour, so I make sure I leave all lockers and cupboards open when the moho is not in use.

the guy has not got back but in his log it says Rimor

barry

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back