Connecting solar panels

TissyD

I have just bought 2 solar panels from BlueFix at Harrogate Show ( thanks for the discount Phil) but I can't remember if it is better to connect them in series or parallel. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you Chris.

Not sure but I think the Controller capacity is part of the question, but it's been a while.

Not sure but I think the Controller capacity is part of the question, but it's been a while.
you are correct. a VERY important factor is the controller maximum input voltage. If this is exceeded, it usually blows the controller and it is sayonara to it.
Many controllers are limited to just using a "12V" panel.

The votronic can handle 50v, but i connecter mine in paralel, so if one goes down i can disconnect it, i just linked one panel to the other as they had a black box capable of taking the cables, then just one set of cables down through a marine gland into the van, miles better than those silly glue on boxes.deck g a.png

The one I had in the Self build was only 12 volts but two panels putting out approx 18v each would kill it, I assume it does some sort of magic to cope with one delivering 18v.

just a matter of connecting in parallel where the voltage is not increased.

The quoted voltages are misleading of course ... a "12V" controller will be good for upto around 25V give or take. a "12V" Panel runs at around 20V. the use of the term "12V" means some people connect a "12V" panel direct to a "12V" Battery - and damage it.

The controller above is a really good one, I looked into the cost to the Uk, £38, there may be a customs charge too.

The controller above is a really good one, I looked into the cost to the Uk, £38, there may be a customs charge too.
If it gets 'caught' by customs, there will be no import tax (too low), but likely VAT charged plus a £10 handling fee by the post office/courier.

They have in the past put it down as a gift and I've got away with it, only had to pay extra once.

The panels are Victron SPM 041401200. The controller is a Victron MPPT 100120 12/24/48 voltage. These were all bought together. Reading through the replies and having googled it I think I will be better connecting in parallel.

The panels are Victron SPM 041401200. The controller is a Victron MPPT 100120 12/24/48 voltage. These were all bought together. Reading through the replies and having googled it I think I will be better connecting in parallel.
The numbers in the "Victron 100/20 MPPT controller" mean:
100V Max Input
20A Max Output
(and on a 12V system, max power of 290W)

So you can connect any way you like :)

They have in the past put it down as a gift and I've got away with it, only had to pay extra once.
gifts can still have value and be taxable. All down to the declared value. if that was zero and package lost, shipping insurance will pay up to the value of the package i.e. £0.00.
VAT is not charged on goods that are gifts worth £39 or less, so that is a value you could declare?
(This is something I have checked on as I ship stuff all over the place)

Pays your money and takes your chance.
When I sell something and ship it abroad, I never send as a zero-value gift as if the customer doesn't get it they will want a refund and I lose out. I WILL reduce the value down to help taxes as long as my own costs are covered.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back