Connectors & fan advice please

jagmanx

I am replacing minor electrical items (awning lights)
Also a fan to assist the fridge

Thus 2 questions

1 Connectors for very small wires ?
eg the fan which uses minimal power and so has very fine leads.
I have some small terminal blocks
but I would prefer something like clip connectors which pierce the plastic surround
such as telephone sockets or rj45 sockets

2 there is power for the extra fridge fan by the top vent
I think I need to fit the fan so it extracts air through the top vent

I have a remote controlled on/off relay and power will go to the fan via the relay
I only plan to use the fan during the day unless it is very hot a night.
I could leave it on all the time as it only consumes 0.16amp

Thanks

IDC is what you're talking about, and they're crap lol. Strip more of the insulation than necessary and double the conduct up and put it in a chock block, preferably one with a saddle, not just a screw - I'll try and find a pic

If you're trying to join wires then IDC isn't what you need as they are usually on the back of the actual socket. You can however use BT8A jelly crimps that BT use to join telephone wires together, they work great on thin gauge wire.

Regards,
Del

Just make sure whatever you use is designed for stranded conductors, and vibration resistant.

Just make sure whatever you use is designed for stranded conductors, and vibration resistant.
The BT8A works on both, I've been using them for over thirty years and never had a problem.

Regards,
Del

Last edited:
BT8A ordered
I hope they do the job for you, if the wire is really thin you can strip a small amount on the end and fold it back just to be sure.

Regards,
Del

Yes..At the moment to test the remote controlled relay.
I have used s small sized terminal block.
Wires doubled up and twisted together and clamped with the screws. Now all I'd working I will replace the terminal block with 3 of the BT8A connectors. c
Then check again before fixing .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back