Croatia and Rabies blood test?

Clunegapyears

Croatia and Rabies blood test?

As we left Croatia into Montenegro a few days ago, the Croatian customs asked if we had anything to declare. I couldn’t think of anything, until he suggested animals. I said yes, a dog. He asked for the Pet Passport and went straight to the rabies blood test page ... of course it was empty. He told me that I should get the vet in the UK to do this test. It seems a waste of time as no rabies in the U.K. and Oscar is vaccinated.
Has anyone else had this issue crossing any borders? Will we have the same issue going into or leaving Albania?
K

I've only ever heard of this being needed for Morocco.Croatian customs waved us through when the dog went ballistic at them tapping on our window...

We investigated when we had WiFi the next evening .... yes we do need the blood test for high rabies countries ... Montenegro and Albania being two of them. This morning, after a sleepless night investigating blood tests in Montenegro, house hire for 3 months and visas (after 90 days), we decided to attempt the border crossing back to Croatia. Did not want to get stuck in Albania for 3 months. We diverted into the hinterland Bosnia and Herzegovina to be at quieter crossings and reduce the number of customs / crossings by one. We responded in the negative that we had anything to declare .... the ‘dog on board’ vinyls and evidence of leads had all been removed, and Oscar lashed down out of sight!
Can’t believe I didn’t check and double check, and the vet back home know where we were headed. Ho hum.
Anyway, all’s well that ends well ... but I would not want to put anyone through that stress! Wine in hand.

I thought that any ferry crossing involved a rabies injection, how did you get where you was, from this end
Not last years ferry crossing, but the year before, we was travelling back from Dunkirk to Dover we declared we had a dog on board, they never check the passport or chip,I was mad they didn't check the policies they have on board - any rabid animal could get through - then the UK wouldn't be rabid free

I had a fully kitted touring motorcycle on a trailer behind my van crossing Portsmouth to Bilbao. The customs guy came aboard and looked in every locker. Then he asked me to open the panniers and top box on the bike. When I asked what he was looking for he replied "Babies and Dogs".

Lorraine;n25282 said:
I thought that any ferry crossing involved a rabies injection, how did you get where you was, from this end
Not last years ferry crossing, but the year before, we was travelling back from Dunkirk to Dover we declared we had a dog on board, they never check the passport or chip,I was mad they didn't check the policies they have on board - any rabid animal could get through - then the UK wouldn't be rabid free

Had rabies jab but not blood test. Ireland is another back door for dogs coming in with no checks. Not good.

Clunegapyears;n25354 said:
Had rabies jab but not blood test. Ireland is another back door for dogs coming in with no checks. Not good.

If they allow this to happen, why do they bother with the rabies injection

Does the rabies injection need to be followed up with a blood test in some countries, if that's the case what does the rabies injection mean without the blood test

Thanks Clunegapyears

I always understood that your dog had the Rabies vaccine to stop it becoming rabid if bitten by a rabid dog while you were in a country that hadn't fully eliminated the problem.

And having had the Rabies vaccine for a minimum of three weeks your dog would then be allowed back into the UK - without an up-to-date stamp on your dogs passport they are not allowed back until 21 days have elapsed from the time of the dog getting the treatment.

By not having given the dog the vaccine you could be the proud owner of a rabid dog that would possibly be a deceased dog very soon -.and you requiring a Rabies injection as well.

:Smiling_Face_Emoji: :Smiling_Face_Emoji: :Smiling_Face_Emoji: :Smiling_Face_Emoji:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back