Cruise control/economy

Carrerasax

Cruise control/economy

I have developed a love for cruise control on the van. First time I’ve had it on any vehicle .
However I feel sure I can drive conventionally more economically by easing up uphill and gaining a bit of speed downhill to help going up.
anyone else like minded?

Yes, I think it is easy to beat any cruise control for economy as the driver is able to anticipate the ups and downs, but then it is nice to use if you are chugging along the autoroutes.
Dave

On easy roads, no sharp bends or hills the cruise control is probably more economical than most drivers, it also stops you gaining speed without realising .
On hilly roads in particular an experienced driver will do better, as you say, because they will anticipate the road ahead .
With an automatic and cruise control the electronics can 'hunt' between gears that a driver can avoid.

Cruise Control is usually great, but it can depend on the vehicle. On the cars and vans I have had cruise control on I found it really good and when you get to know the system, can use the set, res and cancel buttons to essentially 'drive by wire' without ever having to use the accelerator or brake when on fairly quiet roads, including the windy Scottish roads I travel on.

One vehicle which I had cruise on that was rubbish however was a top-spec 2011 Toyota RAV4 - The system was setup in an opposite way to how you want Cruise to work I reckon - if you hit the 'res' button after braking, the car would often drop down a gear and accelerate as fast as possible to get back to the set speed. All the other systems I have had it just gently increased until the set speed was achieved. (a great shame about the RAV4, as the auto gearbox itself was sublime).

A good driver who is CONCENTRATING can beat cruise. However most of us lose concentration over time and vary our speed up and down which is less efficient. Cruise is a good option in my view except on steep or long up or downhills.

Having driven HGV's with both cruise control and variable speed limiters the limiter wins hands down. I remember one driver running in on his cruise control and colliding with the roundabout on the M4 A34 junction. All the cruise controls were disabled by that company after that.

I watch my average mpg figure whilst on long ( ie 1000 mile journeys ) and it does not change much from me doing the light foot up the hill technique or the cruse control is kicking in and getting me to the top quicker . Think about it . even if it made a difference of a massive 10% ( which it doesn't on my van )on a 1000 miles , 3 day drive you might be better off by £6 a day . I would pay £6 for somebody to press my pedal for me all day and just enjoy an easier drive .

Just my opinion

LT Man

Yes if uve got technology use it I guess!!!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back