Data only SIM

Common answer to this query is the 3, 24gb data only sim which is valid for 24 months when activated. Can be activated abroad, but when you return to Uk turn the mifi on for a minute or two to let 3 know you are no longer abroad as it is designed for short usage (3 months) abroad. Some people only get 19 gb, but this is down to usage in my opinion. I only surf sites, e mails, weather etc and seem to manage all 24gb. Available on Amazon and sometimes at sale prices. When used up do not top up. Discard and buy a new one.

Another option is a sim from Smarty (3) I use a £10 per month 30gb contract. You can stop and start, reduce or increase the amount as you wish although you may only get 12gb per month when abroad. My smarty sim also fits into my Huawei mifi and works fine to link to TV as my smartphone with the smarty sim will not cast (smart phone issue, not sim)

Davy

If you are happy with a monthly contract then Three offer an unlimited data sim for £18.00 pm or less. It depends how much data you expect to use. I found that streaming TV can easily use 20Gb per day.

If you have a data sim at home ( not connected to landline) you can put it in the mifi and use it when away.

If you have a data sim at home ( not connected to landline) you can put it in the mifi and use it when away.

Or even take your home router with you - as we did the other week. We are with EE and the router and SIM worked fine at both campsites we were at.

If you don't want to sign up for a 12 month contract then Smarty do unlimited for £20.00/month on 30 days rolling and I believe that they use the Three network.

Regards,
Del

I use smarty in my huawei 5573 £12.50 for 50Gb, start, stop or change any time

Why not use a phone and make a 'Hotspot' for your laptop tablet etc
100gb data + unlimited calls and texts for £9.42 pm

Or keep an eye on here for latest offers from all providers

If you just want data for TV and you have Sky at home get a Sky sim with 2Gb data plus unlimited mins and texts for less than a fiver a month (dependant of the offer you find) and TV streaming is not included in your data so watch TV 24/7 for less than a fiver pm. AND your data rolls over if you don't use it for 3 years - brilliant

With Smarty, you pick and choose when you want it, how much data you need. Once the month is over, your sim is asleep, until you pay for more.
As an example, I’ve put on 30gb for a tenner, to see me through until I get home on Tuesday. I’ll not put any more on until Hollingsworth, that will be unlimited, and should see me through until after Stratford show.
Tbh, I reckon it’s brilliant. But what do I know 😳

If you just want data for TV and you have Sky at home get a Sky sim with 2Gb data plus unlimited mins and texts for less than a fiver a month (dependant of the offer you find) and TV streaming is not included in your data so watch TV 24/7 for less than a fiver pm. AND your data rolls over if you don't use it for 3 years - brilliant
further to this post, the data rolls over each month into an account "piggybank" and ANY SIM on that account can use that rolled over data, so if you have more than one mobile device, you can get one with a 'decent' data package and get the minimum on the others and just share the overall amount :)
I have 3 SIMs on my account - mine, OHs and just got another one for the Vans MiFi, all with unlimited calls and texts, plus sharing 9GB of data between the 3 SIMs, and any SIM can access the over 250GB of data accured in the piggybank for under £15 a month which I am happy enough with :)

Or even take your home router with you - as we did the other week. We are with EE and the router and SIM worked fine at both campsites we were at.
Good idea, silly question but how do you power the router if not on hook up ?

With Smarty, you pick and choose when you want it, how much data you need. Once the month is over, your sim is asleep, until you pay for more.
As an example, I’ve put on 30gb for a tenner, to see me through until I get home on Tuesday. I’ll not put any more on until Hollingsworth, that will be unlimited, and should see me through until after Stratford show.
Tbh, I reckon it’s brilliant. But what do I know 😳
A proviso. Smarty is only as good as the 3mobile supply it’s carried on. Second year of intermittent data at the Rowing Club, after the assurance from 3 last year, that the problem was only a blip. I’ll use the Giff Gaff sim next time we’re here on O2. Hopefully I’ll get better results.

What is coverage like with Smarty in Scotland and Europe rural areas used in mifi? Can you use all your data in Europe or is it capped? Do you have to remember to pay each month or is it by direct debit? When in Europe does it have UK IP address so you can still use Netflix and BBC iPlayer?

We use my virgin phone for all our internet connections set up hot spot ..
Home or on the road runs our fire sticks..
£25 a m9nth unlimited data .

What is coverage like with Smarty in Scotland and Europe rural areas used in mifi? Can you use all your data in Europe or is it capped? Do you have to remember to pay each month or is it by direct debit? When in Europe does it have UK IP address so you can still use Netflix and BBC iPlayer?
Smarty shares 3Mobiles network. So if you get 3, you’ll get Smarty. Restrictions abroad, if you manage to get abroad, limited to 20gb per month 👍
Asking me about what you can and can’t see on it, you’ll do better trying to knit fog 😬

From 1st June Smarty will cap roaming data at 12gb per month. I have the 30gb @ £10 bought specifically for touring abroad as an upgrade to the 3 24gb data sim. Not been able to try it out of course. We only browse forums, web pages, weather, traffic email, news sites and some FaceTime to Oz and a 24 gb lasts nearly 18 months. Our usage seems to meet with approval as we normally get the full 24 gb.

My wife also has a Smarty sim, but with a lower data limit. Between both and the ability to increase, decrease and pause contracts on a monthly basis I think it will be easy to work around the cap.

Davy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back