Diesel heater smelling

rambrose

Hi, my van has a webasto dual top evo heater. Not sure of the exact model. It has an lcd panel and was installed by a previous owner.
It had been working fine for the last 2 years but the other day I had an overheat warning. The fan went in to overdrive to cool the unit.
I was able to start the heater up again but get a funny smell. Not diesel more of a plastic smell.
The heater is covered by plywood with the fans on the end exposed (and still spinning).
Air still comes out the cabin vents and suitably hot.
Subject to weather I intend to start dismantling tomorrow. Apart from melted plastic and wiring any suggestions on what to check?

If you can get to the unit check the hot air ducting coming off the heater. If it has kinked over or anything squashing it to partially block the hot air you can get the overheat warning/shutdown. At least you can on diesel heaters and I can’t see why gas or any other fuel would be done differently for that problem. If it is this it’s an nice quick and easy fix 👍

You might want to download the installation instructions and check some of the important points. Eg there should be a 100 cm2 ventilation opening and both hot air outlets must be connected, no blockages etc

Had to destroy the plywood cover as the bugger had glued it to the frame. Typically I had no unusual smells when I fired it up today.
I'm impressed with how cold the casing is when it's running. Should the air out ducting jubilee clamps get too hot to touch?
There were some dents in the ducting which I've straightened out.
I'm thinking of getting rid of this T piece and attaching straight on to the Y adaptor unless anyone says no.

Apologies. Got Internet issues too.
I'll see if I can find a manual. Still not sure what model. Evo6 or an evo8 I'm thinking

20231227_150442.jpg20231227_152524.jpg

It’s an Evo 8 - 6kw Diesel, 2kw electric. The hot air does get very hot, (120C according to the manual) but will depend on what temperature you've set the control unit at.

If that T-piece was for another distribution duct and is now blanked off then you could connect straight to the Y-piece.

Operating Manual https://dealers.webasto.com/service/files_content.aspx?Files_FileId=19007#page12

Installation Manual https://www.butlertechnik.com/downl...ha_100_101_102_heater_installation_manual.pdf

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back