Diesel in the water tank - Part 2

alwaysared

So we finally got to see the motorhome, first of all it was a Rapido A Class not a Dethleffs but no real hardship although we like Dethleffs we're open minded about what we buy.
The good things (for us) was it's a Merc 2.7TD with tiptronic gearbox (not sure if the tiptronic is a good or bad thing), the layout is what we're looking for with a fixed french bed, a separate shower cubicle and a large fridge with separate freezer. It's only just over 6m long (20ft) and it also has a drop down bed at the front, although it's not something we need.
The bad things (again for us) the paintwork is quite faded (never been polished) as are all the decals but both can be put right, the tyres will probably need replacing, it doesn't have solar, it only has a single (small) leisure battery (they always used sites with EHU) and the worst thing was her son has now told her she's not asking enough so the price has increased by £5000 (no I didn’t check the asking price before going and she didn’t say it had increased either, lesson learned!) which makes it a similar price to what a dealer would ask, but I would probably get some sort of warranty from a dealer whereas this will be sold as seen but most importantly it puts it out of my price range!
So it seems that my search goes on, I'm not in any rush as I've already got a working van so I can still go away when I want to.
It has got me thinking about the base vehicle though, I was sure I'd end up with a Fiat 2.8JTD but the Merc sounded much quieter than the Fiat's I've looked at, I'll start a separate thread about the pros and cons of these engines so I can gather information to help me make the correct decision.

Regards,
Del

Oh that's such a shame about the price going up so much. I've been very impressed with every Rapido I've seen... they look very well built. You never know, she might not get any better offers, so might come back to you. Good luck with the search... your new home on wheels is out there somewhere :)

Jennie makes a good point. If the van ticks your boxes, stay in touch. Don’t give up yet. Asking price and selling price can be miles apart. If you’re not in a hurry, wait them out.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back