Do you have a portable washing machine?

SimonM

When we go off for our usual fortnight away we carry enough clothes to last and then bring back a load of washing to do. Fair enough that’s quite easy

However, when we went away last year for our first long trip of just over 5 weeks, it was quite apparent that SWMBO had to hand wash various bits and pieces to last the whole trip. I can quite happily exist with a T-shirt and shorts for the duration, but I do get a bit nagged after a while ?

My first attempt at a jury rigged washing line wasn’t a great success strung between the awning uprights, the second or third was almost a disaster when a strong wind and rain nearly lost me the awning. I did another strung between a tree and door mirror, but all in all nothing was a success.

On our return I did a bit of looking around, having seen something suitable in a
Dutch van one day, and managed to pick up a very nice telescopic folding whirligig washing line thingy for not a lot of money. That has now proved its worth at home and I’m very confident it’ll do the job admirably when we’re away next. It has split rings to enable me to peg it down while away for a bit of stability. Sorted.

Now, the reason for asking on here is this, in an effort to save myself a bit of earache, is there any worth in considering a portable washing machine (I can run it off 240v in the MH) or shall I just stop off at Mr. LeClerc every few days if she wants to do “a wash”.

What are your recommendations?

Why would you cart around a washing machine?
If drying don’t extent you awning.
Park it facing the sun.
Take on the role of turning it to get it dry double quick.
Will work out great for both of you..

I take enough for two weeks and try to find a washing machine once every 12 days or so, usually ties in with a site visit for showers. Sometimes I have been known to handwash some underwear & T shirts to keep me going a bit longer. Hang in the bathroom to dry if it's not good weather.

If I have to wash then I use a radiator dryer and put it outside the window, which can still be locked shut, or I use the bike rack on the back, with a little contraption with pegs on (don't know name), for socks, flannels etc.

Remember that underpants can be worn for ages------------------------normal day 1, reversed day 2, inside out forwards day 3, inside out backwards day 4 and by then they should be fresh enough to start again, likewise with T shirts, socks etc. It's wiimin that's the problem

We’re going to try and go away again this year for about 3 weeks (unless babysitting duties) and like Sue (yorkieowl) I also use a radiator dryer or tie it in with a site where we need to visit for showers and emptying waste

We have a portable twin tub. I’ve had it for two years now and would not be without it. We mostly wild camp and prefer to. The twin tub means we don’t have to go to campsites as often as we used to. The only thing we need is access to water as it uses quite a bit to rinse. If it is sunny we can run it easily off the leisure battery and the sinewave inverter. In the past, we have resorted to running the engine just to keep the batteries charged.
A good tip is to use soap nuts, bicarb soda and white vinegar. Cleans well, no smell and uses much less water in the rinsing as less soapy suds.
Reckon it has more than paid for itself, probably 10 times over. We have come across campsites that charge as much as €10 for a wash.
And on a sunny day with a glass of vino it really isn’t a chore.

We usually look for launderettes after 2 weeks but hand wash bits as we go along.
Getting a machine has been discussed several times but we have nowhere to store it, apart from in the shower......

We spend 5 or 6 months (continously)every summer in our MoHo.
When we shower (daily) we leave the plug in and add washing powder and wash items so the water gets x2 use.
We have never used a launderette or the like.
My wife is very keen on both personal (x2) and clothes cleanliness.
Like most things do not let it pile up.
Drying is potentially more of a problem but..even the duvet cover gets washed as needed.

Yes, otherwise known as, Julie, she who shall be obeyed, nanny cornwall, mum, & unpostable!!!!

buy icebreaker tops 100% marino wool. walked for five days same top. and no smell. thers other brands far cheaper. but tried and tested for me

We use a portable whirly gig it pegs to the ground and can be quite therapeutic watching it go round, especially with a large glass of something.

Thanks everyone, that’s satisfied my mind and made it all a bit cheaper and lighter not having to carry one. I’ll allow her to continue to hand wash her smalls and T-shirts etc. Then save the big stuff, duvets and sheets etc. for a laundrette. Having the whirligig will certainly make life a lot easier to handle.

Washing stuff isn't the problem. Drying it is. I think a small portable mangle would be really useful, but I've not seen any for sale.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back