Do You Swop Tyres Around ................

Do You Swop Tyres Around ................

.......... in order to get even wear or to ensure maximum mileage lest UV induced cracking limits their use?
Earlier this week I contacted the guys who usually do the MOT test for me and asked if they would swop the tyres front to back for the above reasons. They agreed to as a service - no charge!
When I arrived their tyre supplier happened to be on site and a long discussion ensued, the expert advising against swopping around because front and rear tyres wear differently and changing front to back can cause vibration and/or steering wobble.
All this seemed very odd to me but I decided to postpone the potential change around until the next MOT is due - in March 2018.

So what do you do?

Colin ???

I have always done this on various vans and cars it's a service my mechanic of 45 yrs has always offered I always buy tyres in pairs and he always puts the new tyres on the drive wheels and the best of what's left on the rear.

Use them until they are approaching the tell tale 'wear' mark on the tread and then change them for new one/s. Total huey to change fronts and rears or side to side. Each and every tyre wherever it sits, is different, wears differently and has different amounts of tread left. Every time they are moved to a different hub they would need re balancing to be effective. Its just not worth the hassle or expense. The basis for doing it stems from a time many years ago when tyre and vehicle technology was very different and is no longer valid. For example, take a tyre tread depth gauge and measure all your treads-spare too if you have one- you'll not find 2 the same. They generally speaking will be within around 2 or 3 mm of each other. Any uneven tyre wear though, should be investigated straight away as that is a definite sign of something amiss at that point. If you want to keep out UV light-put something suitable over the wheels when its not in use-don't forget to take them off though! Those are my own opinions and is what I do.

*****;n2764 said:
Annie, professional advice for fwd is to put the new tyres on the rear! Google it!

yes I may have that wrong but I know he always swops them about when I get new ones he did tell me why once but I forget or wasn't listening lol

I have never swapped wheels around, and definitely won’t be doing on the motorhome as the poor design of the rear arches makes it very difficult

I have sixteen inch wheels on my 3L Adria Twin and I do not swap, but the rear ones last so long as to create cracking. Now I feel reluctant to swap.

As the front ones always wear quicker then the rears, I always buy new ones in pairs, which then get put on the rear, and the 'old' rear ones moved to the front.

*****;n2764 said:
Annie, professional advice for fwd is to put the new tyres on the rear! Google it!

car-tyres

That advice creates a vehicle more likely to understeer. Something you can do very little about in a RWD vehicle. It's more predictable than oversteer so I guess more suited to the masses. Also, more FWD vehicles around. I'll stick with better tyres on the front so that I stand a better chance of stopping! I can manage a bit of oversteer...

*****;n3014 said:
So you know better than the tyre experts, however I tend to agree with you for grip!
A tyre fitter told me about putting new on the rear and I did not quire believe him. I did lots of research which is freely available to all and he was correct!
I wonder what would happen legality wise if a tyre fitter put them on the front and there was a serious accident that could be contributed to that fact!

Did you read what I typed? For the masses, with FWD vehicles, I would agree. As I can cope with oversteer, and drive a RWD van, I'll put the better ones on the front. That said, In the winter I wouldn't run tyres right down on the rear either.

I hope that makes it clearer...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back