Do you take Statins for Cholesterol?

Not sure if I should take the Sea Buckthorne and the Atorvastatin at the same time or to stop it and just take the Sea Buckthorne.

this doesn't really help much either

Of course I'm no expert so don't rely on me but I doubt there would be an issue taking both, but why not Gove your GP a call, surely they would know.

I will, I need to speak to one about my blood tests, I'm overdue for a full MOT

I will, I need to speak to one about my blood tests, I'm overdue for a full MOT
Talk to pharmacist, they often have better information about taking herbal supplements with medication. Used to have a dedicated medicine helpline at local hospital for queries like this .

Just waiting for the doc to ring back :rolleyes:

What a total waste of time talking to a "doctor" never even heard of it and no idea if it's a good idea to take them alongside or on their own or not at all.

What a total waste of time talking to a "doctor" never even heard of it and no idea if it's a good idea to take them alongside or on their own or not at all.
Well young puddled one, I've just bought these from Amazon

Organic Sea Buckthorn Oil 1000mg 240 Capsules Rich in Omega 7 Hair Skin 8 Months Supply. by Vytox​

So we'll see how things go !! I too have quite a reaction to the ones that the vet prescribes, none of which are particularly pleasant. so we'll see

I've a full mot of blood tests to do when I get home next month so I'll see what that reveals then do a trial, but I suppose I'll have to keep taking the statins till then and see if there is an improvement, if so come off the statins and try buckthorn only.

Well young puddled one, I've just bought these from Amazon

Organic Sea Buckthorn Oil 1000mg 240 Capsules Rich in Omega 7 Hair Skin 8 Months Supply. by Vytox​

So we'll see how things go !! I too have quite a reaction to the ones that the vet prescribes, none of which are particularly pleasant. so we'll see
How much?

I've a full mot of blood tests to do when I get home next month so I'll see what that reveals then do a trial, but I suppose I'll have to keep taking the statins till then and see if there is an improvement, if so come off the statins and try buckthorn only.
It might be worth seeing if your local hospital has a medicines information helpline like this:
They usually only deal with their area, but I found them really helpful when looking at complimentary therapies.

After Thursday's mini stroke, 2 consultants told me to reconsider my earlier abandonment of Statins [because of adverse physical and mental reactions]. The Cardiac Consultant said that the problems with adverse reactions to Statins are caused by too high a dose, so the trick is to start with the lowest possible level ['because ANY amount of statin is so much more efficacious than having none at all, even with alternatives such as ezetemibe'], and then increase the dosage until an adverse reaction occurs, than drop back to the previous level. When he concluded by pointing out that I had my mini stroke despite the Ezetemibe, I accepted that the game was up ...

Started with the 10mg Rosuvastatin this morning. The previous statins [Atorvastatins and Simvastatins] started to cause problems after 1 week and 4 days respectively, but probably not as big a problem as the permanent inability to breathe. Fingers crossed for 3rd time lucky!

Steve

After Thursday's mini stroke, 2 consultants told me to reconsider my earlier abandonment of Statins [because of adverse physical and mental reactions]. The Cardiac Consultant said that the problems with adverse reactions to Statins are caused by too high a dose, so the trick is to start with the lowest possible level ['because ANY amount of statin is so much more efficacious than having none at all, even with alternatives such as ezetemibe'], and then increase the dosage until an adverse reaction occurs, than drop back to the previous level. When he concluded by pointing out that I had my mini stroke despite the Ezetemibe, I accepted that the game was up ...

Started with the 10mg Rosuvastatin this morning. The previous statins [Atorvastatins and Simvastatins] started to cause problems after 1 week and 4 days respectively, but probably not as big a problem as the permanent inability to breathe. Fingers crossed for 3rd time lucky!

Steve
I've had a couple of attempts at falling off my perch both times triggered by statins. I have a blood condition which for some obscure reason reacts violently to statins and creates massif blood loss, so this is why I've been looking for a natural alternative, my next visit to the local vampire clinic is next week, so I'll see how things are working out

I've had a couple of attempts at falling off my perch both times triggered by statins. I have a blood condition which for some obscure reason reacts violently to statins and creates massif blood loss, so this is why I've been looking for a natural alternative, my next visit to the local vampire clinic is next week, so I'll see how things are working out
I saw 2 consultants yesterday, and the first did a 'reach for the sky' gesture with her right hand [and she is quite tall, perhaps 5ft 8ins] to show the height of the protection that statins give, and then stooped to within 2 feet max of the ground to show how Ezetemibe provides protection as a statin substitute. She also said that my problems with the statins may well be related to the pulmonary embolism I had experienced a few months before [the slight brain damage was not a recent episode and there was furring, that takes time to develop, around the artery], so her professional advice and the odds of subsequent damage, in increasing frequency/severity, made the acceptance of a changed type of statin the only sensible option ...

Steve

I saw 2 consultants yesterday, and the first did a 'reach for the sky' gesture with her right hand [and she is quite tall, perhaps 5ft 8ins] to show the height of the protection that statins give, and then stooped to within 2 feet max of the ground to show how Ezetemibe provides protection as a statin substitute. She also said that my problems with the statins may well be related to the pulmonary embolism I had experienced a few months before [the slight brain damage was not a recent episode and there was furring, that takes time to develop, around the artery], so her professional advice and the odds of subsequent damage, in increasing frequency/severity, made the acceptance of a changed type of statin the only sensible option ...

Steve
Sadly Steve, I've been prescribed two different brands both with the same results, so for the moment I'm prepared to risk the tree hugger option, but if that fails I'll have to cut out the red wine. Seriously though, I'll have a chat with the vet next week and see what other chemical they want me to try, but seeing as the history is two prospective meetings with my maker, you may appreciate why I'm a tad apprehensive. There are a few other complications too, but I'm still above ground and drawing breath
Peter

Reading this thread is freaking me out a little I have just been put on atorvastatin and amlodipine not picked up the prescription yet and I already take Sulfasalazine and naproxen along with something for acid reflux and then my 6 monthly infusion of retuximab I find it all too scary what is all this shit doing to my insides 🥺

I started to cut back on my dose of tabs, last week I did not feel too well with a thumping head pain, doctor upped my tabs as blood pressure was up, I told him about reading about statins and other tablets, and his reply was get a grip and do as I tell you.

Reading this thread is freaking me out a little I have just been put on atorvastatin and amlodipine not picked up the prescription yet and I already take Sulfasalazine and naproxen along with something for acid reflux and then my 6 monthly infusion of retuximab I find it all too scary what is all this shit doing to my insides 🥺
I'm on Day 2 of amlodipine, Annie, but Elaine has been taking them for about 10 years and seems to be getting stronger by the day [unless living with me is making her more resilient ...]. I didn't get on with Atorvastatin, but I was told that the type of statin could be changed; the second Hospital Consultant told me on Friday that ANY statin, however small the dose is better than the reduced protection of Ezetemibe, and his comment that adverse reactions to statins are often the result of too high a dose, so 'start with babysteps of a low dose and steadily increase it until you get an adverse reaction, then drop back to the previous OK level' was a revelation. My Omeprazole acid reflux pill doesn't work with Clopidogrel, so I have been switched to Lansoprazole.

Over 28 hours in hospital. I saw 3 different Consultants [the first 1 twice, just after 11pm, so heaven knows how many hours he had worked on that shift!] and two of the Consultant's Registrars on interim check visits, and the risks of not following their advice were explained very clearly; the 2nd Consultant said that my statin adverse reaction was very possibly a reaction to my pulmonary embolism, the first time that this had been suggested. The considered explanations, the referral to a Consultant who was undertaking a Study Project into strokes and nerve/brain damage before the next embolism/stroke 'main event' gives rise to the need for a CT Scan et seq, gave me confidence that all angles had been explored. And I was hopelessly outgunned by the array of experts, so I decided to be sensible for once and listen to them

Steve

I'm on Atorvastin and Amlodipine, Clopidogral, Aspirin, Bisoprolol and monomil, plus lansoprazole and metformin, I 5akw Paracetamol as and when but have tramadol.
And Naproxin on my list but avoid them as much as possible as I rattle enough already.

And nitro under my tongue as needed.

And loperamide once a week.

Cloppydog and Lansoprazole are administered to enable your stents to become incorporated in the artery. I have been told to cease their use after 12 months ie late February. I can’t wait as I’ll only be on 3 meds from then in. Aspirin 75mg, Atorvastatin and Sukkarta (a slow release form of Metformin) all 3 will be for life, no end date.

I think I’ve used everything in your list Kev. I find Naproxen to be extremely good if you have a bad headache that paracetamol won’t shift.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back