Does an inverter switched off consume any power?

Thanks for that. I’ll pull the radio tomorrow and see what goes where beyond the simple plug that I will have used.
See if there is a bit of a "lump" between the Quadlock connector and the JVC Wiring. on Canbus setups, the ignition-on function on a separate connection on the vehicle loom side is replaced by Canbus tx+ and tx- signals (this is how the radio knows to shut down after 20 mins of whatever after the engine is turned off). most aftermarket radios use ISO connectons and not Canbus signals and so won't use that. the 'lump' is a canbus spoofer that makes an ignition-on +12V from the tx+ & tx- and Perm +ve, but using those are expensive (over £50) so are often not used and and alternatives used.
I'd be interested what you have in place there. It sounds like Deltheffs have bypassed that auto-shutdown and I wonder if what you are seeing is a common problem but owners just haven't identified it on their vehicle if their normal MO is to do this?

There are times it’s best to leave things well alone.

I pulled the radio this afternoon when I managed a spare few minutes. The radio wiring is standard DIN square plug A01A95B6-356A-4710-A308-9F2869032011.jpeg, the black (earth) has been spurred off via the brown wire on the round blue and brown cable - i don't know where that goes yet, it will need a bit of delving to find it. Then the blue has been spurred to the red/white on the red/white &white cable, this also disappears into the dash - it is a Burstner Nexxo addition, it says so on the side of the wire. I’m going to hazard a guess that this is an aerial amplifier wire as I have a powered A pillar aerial, I think they would normally have a mirror aerial? Therefore the white round cable and the red/white cables may simply be a means of getting power to the aerial?

I’ve decided to put it all back together and put up with the seemingly low readings on my controller, as I’ve never had a low power situation, and I’ll continue to keep an eye on things for now.

Yup, you have a standard pair of 8-Pin ISO plugs (not a quadlock in that photo anyway). The LHS one is for the speakers; the RHS one is for power/control.

If I am making out the picture correctly, there are two red wires on the last but one connector on the RHS Plug. one of those comes from the dash innards, and the other goes to the top left connector on the RHS plug.
The connector with the two red wires is the +12V Permanent Connection; the top left connection is the +12 Ignition/Accessory Connection.
So, that is why the radio does not come on with ignition and also why the radio is always drawing power even when off. Whether that is an issue for you or not depends on your battery situation ;)

Also, as you have correctly worked out, the Blue is an aerial power line (that is certainly the standard colour used by radio manufacturers). Usually that connection is powered by the radio and only gets power when the radio is on. In what way that white/white+red is powered not a clue, but it could be always on and so using power regardless of radio state (and if so, more waste of battery power)

I wonder what the 2-core mains flex is doing there? I guess they ran out of proper 12V cable and nipped down to B&Q? :D

Last edited:
It is a bit of a codged setup. I may go and hunt down the whereabouts of those wires if I get an odd couple of hours spare to pull things apart. It would be nice to have it put together the way it was meant to be originally but as it’s not quite broken perhaps I’d better not break it.

Just checked my book and it says that the following remain connected, safety/drainage valve, heater, entrance light , entrance step, spare 4, and AES Refrigerator. It also says that appliances such as safety/drainage valve, charger, solar charge regulator and panel consume 20ma to 65ma when the 12v main switch is turned off.
The problem for me is my starter battery which is depleted quite quickly by the the alarm/ immobiliser so I have the moho on hookup quite regularly.
It's interesting to read about the drain on the starter battery caused by the onboard security devices. I found that is the case when parked for a few weeks. I disconnected the negative terminal and when reconnected after a few weeks fired the engine all electrics staying on, no problems.
So, better off, steering and wheelsx2 immobilised.

I take it you don’t have any solar backup to keep the systems charged? Mine is set to keep the leisure and starter batteries fully charged which eliminates the problem of going totally flat.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back