Does Dometic 3 way fridge continue to work without electricity

V1nny

This may sound a stupid question. I have a Dometic fridge which I switch between gas, 240v and 12v as necessary.

My question is this, if I’m running the fridge on gas when off grid, will it continue to work if the leisure batteries run out of power and the 12v system shuts down?

I am wondering if the gas needs an electric supply to ignite it, or is the gas operation completely independent.

You can probably tell I’m not very technical but I’m sure we have experts who can explain in plain English. Thanks

Sorry but the title of this thread should have said Will a fridge work WITHOUT electricity

I don’t know how to edit the title

The leisure battery being low on charge shouldn't affect it, the 12v setting for the fridge is wired, via a relay, from the engine battery - which is why it only works on 12v when the engine is running.
The ignition source may be from the 12v or piezo, or even a small battery in some older 3 way fridges.

The leisure battery being low on charge shouldn't affect it, the 12v setting for the fridge is wired, via a relay, from the engine battery - which is why it only works on 12v when the engine is running.
The ignition source may be from the 12v or piezo, or even a small battery in some older 3 way fridges.
Thanks Caz. That makes sense. I always assumed the 12v supply referred to the leisure batteries and further assumed that I was told to only use that setting while driving because the engine would be recharging the leisure batteries as the fridge drained power from them. I’m an idiot!! But I did say at the start I’m not technical

Depending on the fridge you need a 12 v supply to activate the gas solenoid valve and in turn this regulates the flame on and off for temperature control .

The three way Healy as a separt switch for infighting the fridge, . Ones lit it should work on gass and sume vans have to be Laval to let the fridge work

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back