Dometic fridge not working on gas?

Vanterrier

My Dometic fridge would not light after the winter layup. Plenty gas. Other appliances lighting ok. Fridge working ok on 12v and 240v.
Switch fridge to gas and the indicator light is steady and you can hear the igniter clicking, but then the clicking stops and the light flashes. Normally trying again after a minute or so works but. Not this time.
The fix in my case was to remove the vent to access the back of the fridge from outside. Locate the gas shut off valve - near the bottom on the left side as you look through the vent. Give the valve body a few sharp taps with a small hammer. Then try igniting again and hey presto all is well again.
Hope this helps someone.
Good luck
K ;)
Ps mine happened on the first day away in the van this year and the repair was done in a carpark ;)

Usual fault with these is the thermo-couple (the thin copper pipe that sits in the flame and goes back up to the controller to say it it hot and so the flame is lit). These are universal, but go for the longer one (I think about 1.5mtr) rather than the 1mtr.

I'm not saying it definitely is this, but I've known a few go over the years and for the cost and ease of swapping you might as well give it a go.

I had this problem too but eventually it sorted itself out.
Now over winter (or when I don't use the fridge gas for a while), I spark up every 3-4 weeks and don't have a problem now.

Glad you got it sorted without too much bother.

Ours was the actual selector switch, fridge out squirt WD40 in and turn fro and to, and it seems to be alright now, but I have stripped them down more than once, they have contact similar to points, clean with a nail file and reassemble, hardest part usually is undoing the nut on the burner bar.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back