Dometic RML 9435 burner issue

.......... You can’t even see the engines in modern vehicles now.
Imagine my joy when I went to view an AutoSleeper based on a Mercedes chassis with RWD. I opened the bonnet and there in front of me was a front to back engine in line with a recognisable torque converter and a standard automatic gearbox, prop shaft and rear axle with diff. There's loads of room all round the engine, everything is recognisable. So I bought it. :)
I collect it next week. Then starts the list of inevitable things-that-A/S-campers-need-doing-to-bring-them-up-to-a-useable-standard.

C
Imagine my joy when I went to view an AutoSleeper based on a Mercedes chassis with RWD. I opened the bonnet and there in front of me was a front to back engine in line with a recognisable torque converter and a standard automatic gearbox, prop shaft and rear axle with diff. There's loads of room all round the engine, everything is recognisable. So I bought it. :)
I collect it next week. Then starts the list of inevitable things-that-A/S-campers-need-doing-to-bring-them-up-to-a-useable-standard.
What year is it? I used to love my old Triumph Vitesse, you could open the bonnet and choose which front wheel to sit on when you fixed things that ( inevitably) went wrong. When I open the bonnet of my car now, I am faced with huge plastic covers with no room at the sides to put my hand in.

Have had to bite the bullet and order a burner. Had to buy the unit as per snapsters 4th photo as apparently Dometic don’t list just the burner in their parts catalogue anymore. I did enquire at many camping sales outlets and even fired off an email to Dometic. Had some ludicrous answers back the best being “You do realise the fridge is 6 years old and Dometic don’t make that model anymore so we cannot get parts for it, but we can sell you a new fridge”.

wondering if there is anything that can be done to stop the new burner rusting through?

C

What year is it? .......
Off topic but since you ask it is 2019 with the new fascia, presumably some fancily named new version. And I agree about the Triumph Heralds, lovely to work on. Only thing is the outriggers rusted away - but at least you could get new parts, unlike a Dometic Fridge.

Off topic but since you ask it is 2019 with the new fascia, presumably some fancily named new version. And I agree about the Triumph Heralds, lovely to work on. Only thing is the outriggers rusted away - but at least you could get new parts, unlike a Dometic Fridge.
You didn’t have to buy the whole chassis!

Have had to bite the bullet and order a burner. Had to buy the unit as per snapsters 4th photo as apparently Dometic don’t list just the burner in their parts catalogue anymore. I did enquire at many camping sales outlets and even fired off an email to Dometic. Had some ludicrous answers back the best being “You do realise the fridge is 6 years old and Dometic don’t make that model anymore so we cannot get parts for it, but we can sell you a new fridge”.

wondering if there is anything that can be done to stop the new burner rusting through?
Parts are still available but the main problem is that they changed the method of identifying the correct one by changing the part numbers. After hours of searching online I finally found the correct parts for mine. The burner was easy, the correct jet was harder to find. And I am sorry, I no longer have the website containing this golden information.

This is the sort of thing you can either get sorted, or vent your spleen at them, at the motorhome shows at the NEC. There's one coming up in October and all the know-it-alls from all the appliance manufacturers will be there. And in some cases, the know-it-alls from the manufacturers. Once I wanted to buy a new German motorhome but the bed was too high above the garage. I said to the English salesman can I lower the bed? I added that I have got an angle grinder, a Big Hammer and a welder. He said he would ask the German chappie from the factory, who was also on the stand. Mr German said no you can't because the bed is fixed to the timber framework inside the wall at the back and if you disconnect the bed from the frame, there is nowhere to fix it at a lower level. This sort of information is very useful and you won't get it from your local dealer.

Thinks . . . . I have a 2019 motorhome. Perhaps I should get a load of spare parts in while it is still less than six years old, the apparent "it's too old, scrap it and buy a new one" age.

Some electrical / technical knowledge required here please. Last week, I decided to clean the fridge burner. So, got to the burner, took it out and emptied all the fine dust out of it, then thought I’d gently clean the top of the burner, and it started collapsing as I touched it. I suspect 5 years of rust and heat had weakened it. Anyway, I managed to effect a temp repair and ordered a new burner assembly, which came today. It seems easy to fit, apart from the igniter and thermocouple wires that plug into a module, on the back of the fridge that is impossible to get to without removing the fridge, which I don’t fancy doing. So, I have 3 choices. Leave as it is, but it will corrode more. Try to renew just the burner, but I think this is soldered in. Cut then rejoin the wires to the new module.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back