Done to death SATNAG question.

runnach

Ive had TOMTOM, pish. Current unit is Garmin, which has done us well, but can do with a unit more updated and user friendly. Advice appreciated, ta muchly.

We have Tom Tom camper terry and have and do find it good my last Tom Tom packed in just b4 we were leaving for france at hereford so went to halfrauds and got advice from a nice guy who swayed us onto a garman and we hated it but I must say we do like the Tom tom units
everyone to tneir own ,think u r in for loads of comments mate also live traffic updates etc

Last edited:
We have a pair of Garmin Camper 780 satnavs [needed to buy one whilst I was arguing with the Dealer about a faulty Pioneer SatNav plug in module]. The Garmin is not perfect, but I don't think there is a perfect satnav; the M/Home measurements work well for route selection, but this latter aspect doesn't offer a choice of fastest route/most direct but slower. You just get the route and go, but it is usually possible to modify the route as roadside signposts etc suggest a better route

The POIs for Search for Sites/Park4Night integrate well and there is an option to load them onto a micro SD card. The 780 sticks to the [redundant] internal mirror, so I have an accurate vehicle speed at eye level, rather than peering down at Fiat's poorly lit and inaccurate speedo. I set the speed warning to zero tolerance so it pings warnings with monotonous regularity, especially in 20mph zones where a downhill slope causes a temporary increase in speed, but a useful 'nag' to be more cautious!

I think there is an updated 780 version available now, that can link with an Android Smartphone for expanded Live Services and one or two Bells and Whistles. I don't use the Voice Control, because when I swear at the SatNav, it confuses the software ...

Steve

“I don't use the Voice Control, because when I swear at the SatNav, it confuses the software ...” When I swear at the navigator who reads the SatNav instructions and sends us on the wrong road for a delightful 20 mile detour through endless roundabouts and traffic lights she swears back and I don’t get any dinner.

We have the Caravan Club Avtex Tourer 2 (Garmin) which is mostly good, but there are glitches, such as not showing the correct speed limit or not being clear about which lane to take at one of those complex motorway junctions around Birmingham, or sometimes not even giving a direction. I believe there is a newer version available now.

Last edited:
I've got to Tomtom with live traffic etc on my smartphone (£20 ish a year)

And use it daily on my commute between manchester/Jaguar landrover in the Midlands up and down the M6 etc ....

It's fantastic and must've saved me months of time sat in traffic

I have a Tomtom camper with live updates love it once I got used to it and have copilot on my phone which I use in the car.

Consensus so far, stick with Garmin, then look at what is downloadable on my old iPad, and use that as bigger screen, also have new larger screen iPad as a back up.

Thanks for replies, folks. (y)

Ive had TOMTOM, pish. Current unit is Garmin, which has done us well, but can do with a unit more updated and user friendly. Advice appreciated, ta muchly.
Hard to answer without knowing what you would like to see, I've tried them all bar the cheapo chinese ones which do actually get good reviews.

After all of them I usually go for Google maps, and leave my data switched on as it uses virtually nothing and get traffic up dates as you drive by way of red or orange roads where the traffic is heavy or stopped, or leave it off and down load as many maps as you like of the areas you're interested in, The only other I use is CoPilot not as good but does the job.

The WC app only allows you to navigate via these apps below, I have tried Sygic many times but it's still to clunky IMHO, not had a TomTom for a very long time as the map updates just got silly so I started using Google Maps who just update as and when the have new data to upload.

I have navigated with Maps.me and the navigation itself is quite direct but the voice is mega annoying, not tried the navigation on Organic maps other than to see if it does it, which is does, same routes as Maps.me and the same irritating voice, I've not found a way to change the voice so they remain as POI storage apps mainly, Organic being much better to use.
1676980120937.png

Consensus so far, stick with Garmin, then look at what is downloadable on my old iPad, and use that as bigger screen, also have new larger screen iPad as a back up.

Thanks for replies, folks. (y)
Bear in mind the tablet will need GPS built in Terry, not all iPads do (or didn’t)

Bear in mind the tablet will need GPS built in Terry, not all iPads do (or didn’t)
I'll check that out thanks. Although I'm sure my new iPad has gps capability, I'll need to check the oldest one. I looked at the Aguri, they look the bizz!!

The do look good, I just don't like the idea of single use tech.

As an alternative,, I use Waze in the car, really good for live updates, lots of taxi drivers swear by it. Would depend whether you can use it on either iPad, with or without tethering to your phone.

As an alternative,, I use Waze in the car, really good for live updates, lots of taxi drivers swear by it. Would depend whether you can use it on either iPad, with or without tethering to your phone.
I love my tomtom but a few weeks ago I tried Waze again, I did try it years ago but my phone wasn't quite big enough so I didn't bother, this time I was impressed, we were driving down the M1, a section without a hard shoulder and Waze flagged up a car in a layby, one minute later we passed a car in the emergency layby, clear display, easy to use by saying 'hey google, find Tesco or something similar and it lists all them without you reaching to touch the screen, it works in Europe as well although I haven't tried it myself, I am not sure how much data it uses but that isn't a problem in the UK

As said, been done to death on every forum, and owners of whatever flavour will say theirs is the best, be it TT, Garmin or a Chinese ebay special.. .. so where does that leave you ?

I have a Garmin Camper, and can't really fault it , but to be frank I seldom use it now, the days of the standalone satnav are over for me..

On my last two trips to France last year I only used my iPhone with Google maps, cant fault it..
Phone apps such Camper Contact, Search for sites, Archies etc, link directly to it and set the route without having to type in an address or GPS co-ords.

I like the stand alone Garmin close to me, especially when slip roads etc, where the screen splits keeping in the right lane to continue, or to take a slip road. Also have device set for kilometres, so I can see my speed at a quick glance rather than glancing at MH speedo, then of course I have the alarms if I do creep over the speed limit.

Co-pilot has the iPhone - iPads as alternatives. Will see how we get on with our pending trip with what we currently have at the moment, and upgrade if required. I can also refer back to this thread too.

Many thanks gents!

Reactions: Rec
I have tried Waze and Sygic a few times and recently but find them a bit clunky.

there used to be one called "here" which was quite good.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back