Ducato Drivers air bag warning light

When I done m8ne 10years ago I just fix the third seat belt tensioner to the underside of the passenger seat and it been there ever since lolol
I just drilled it and used a 12mm bolt to put it where it was supposed to be, not sure if the MOT needed to see it, but it was there if they did, and I put a 5ohm resister in the spare socket to turn the dash light off as that's a definite fail.

Question - is there an airbag on the passenger side? lots of vans probably don't have one and so no need for any complications?
Just a thought.
It *looks* like there is a passenger airbag (side & front?), David. The front bag appears to be the outline box etched in the dashboard, under the slimline top glovebox, to the left of the central air vent. Assume the side bag is in the pillar!

Steve

It *looks* like there is a passenger airbag (side & front?), David. The front bag appears to be the outline box etched in the dashboard, under the slimline top glovebox, to the left of the central air vent. Assume the side bag is in the pillar!

Steve
Passenger and side airbags on vans are very often options.
Possibly likely to be found on factory motorhomes as buyers would expect that, but on commercials used for self-conversions I would be surprised if they are seen that often at all. Sometimes the airbag 'space' will be used as an extra glovebox, but sometimes dash is unchanged and it is an empty space behind the markings.

Wiring could be there under the seat and unused as same loom fitted and used/unused depending on options. I suppose it varies between vans and manufacturers, but I think airbag activation is based more on seat pressure pads rather than seatbelt being fastened (as you may not have a seatbelt on when a passenger perfectly legally if you have an exemption and the maker could not have the airbag disabled in that situation as could get sued!). I think it could also be linked to drivers bag as well - thats goes off, the passenger one goes off.

I suppose the "Seatbag ECU" is also the pre-tensioner ECU and the SRS light is also relevant to the pre-tensioner connection maybe?

If swapping from Double to single seats, I think Jeffs solution is the simplest if something does need "fooling"

Last edited:
Passenger and side airbags on vans are very often options.
Possibly likely to be found on factory motorhomes as buyers would expect that, but on commercials used for self-conversions I would be surprised if they are seen that often at all. Sometimes the airbag 'space' will be used as an extra glovebox, but sometimes dash is unchanged and it is an empty space behind the markings.

Wiring could be there under the seat and unused as same loom fitted and used/unused depending on options. I suppose it varies between vans and manufacturers, but I think airbag activation is based more on seat pressure pads rather than seatbelt being fastened (as you may not have a seatbelt on when a passenger perfectly legally if you have an exemption and the maker could not have the airbag disabled in that situation as could get sued!). I think it could also be linked to drivers bag as well - thats goes off, the passenger one goes off.

I suppose the "Seatbag ECU" is also the pre-tensioner ECU and the SRS light is also relevant to the pre-tensioner connection maybe?
Given that my 'airbag ECU' failure in Nov 2021killed both airbag and seatbelt tensioners, I suspect that the system is one big connection ...

Steve

Steve
oh - I don't fancy the chances of pillar-mounted airbags deploying if Remis Blinds are fitted :D

Pic is the option on my self converted 2019 X290 Citroen Relay.
Cannot see any sign of side protection bags.
On my previous X250 conversion I adopted the Jeff solution, remembering to disconnect the battery first to avoid fail light on dash....and at worst a big BANG!

20240318_085226.jpg

Not on my van, just three storage bins

Not on my van, just three storage bins
Dude, where's my Airbag :D
Airbag-not.jpg

It is a bit surprising how FEW Motorhomes came (or maybe still don't come?) with Passenger Airbags.
The only van I have had with a Passenger Airbag was a VW T5 Shuttle - and that only had extra Airbags (passenger and pillar) as it was the 2nd highest trim level in the range. Most don't have them.

As you show, it's four storage places not three, which is excellent, so plenty of room for a SRS they just didn't see the need, and a cup holder right next to the 12v sockets so no real joined up thinking there either.

As you show, it's four storage places not three, which is excellent, so plenty of room for a SRS they just didn't see the need, and a cup holder right next to the 12v sockets so no real joined up thinking there either.
Something that I have never used (as keep forgetting about) is the little vent in the top glovebox where - I think - there is a heating/cooling vent. Handy for your choccy bars in the summer :)
Had a similar thing in my Citroen DS5 in the centre console - being a French car it was big enough for a bagette or a bottle of wine :D

We use the top one for little used stuff that we don't want buried in the deeper drop down bottom one but out of sight, not noticed any cooling, must look into that.

We use the top one for little used stuff that we don't want buried in the deeper drop down bottom one but out of sight, not noticed any cooling, must look into that.
I'll check to see I am not imagining it or mixing with another vehicle (might be on the car?), but I think there is a little sliding flap?

Got one of those in me undies.

I'll check to see I am not imagining it or mixing with another vehicle (might be on the car?), but I think there is a little sliding flap?
Both our last Boxer and current relay have a cooling/heating top storage department ...

Nice touch

Shame about the issues they've both had at around 70/80k with fan blowers stopping working/Bluetooth issues and engine failures,eating headlight bulbs etc etc

When ordering Relay in 2018 ......Front passenger's airbag was £180...if I had ordered Front passenger's lateral and curtain airbags (which would have included front airbag) the cost would have been £375......Alec.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back