Ducato Hill Descent Control System

GMJ

Hi

Do any of you folks who have this system use it? If so what are your thoughts?

In September we are going over the Alps twice and normally I would use engine braking and minimal/appropriate use of the brakes to avoid excessive heat. My concern with this system is that it autonomously operates the brakes therefore they may get too hot.

Thanks

Graham
smile.gif

I think you may find its a system that is speed limited , eg only on slow steep hills , not as a endurance brake eg like telma or jake brake .

My only experience of this was 2016 when the van was new and very expensive and we had our first experience of the Pyrenees. Col de Tourmalet, Col de Aspin and Gavernie. I actually found that the system was too slow for the descents! I used gears and intermittent braking mostly with some experimenting with the descent control. I found that I needed to pull over to allow other vehicles past when the opportunity arose. This gave the brakes some recovery time and a chance to release the death grip on the steering wheel, to say nothing of the opportunity to look at the views.
The most disconcerting thing was slowly descending the mountain and being overtaken by cyclists traveling at what seemed like lethal speeds. The TDF was due through about a fortnight later.

Davy

Thanks all

The speed is limited to 25kph which, as has been said, may prove too slow for certain conditions.

Good tip re handbrake - thanks Graham

Graham
smile.gif

Not familiar with the HDC fitted on the Ducato, but many of these systems are only selectable under 50km/h.
Old fashion engine braking for me, I didn’t even tick HDC option when getting my van.

Hi

Do any of you folks who have this system use it? If so what are your thoughts?

In September we are going over the Alps twice and normally I would use engine braking and minimal/appropriate use of the brakes to avoid excessive heat. My concern with this system is that it autonomously operates the brakes therefore they may get too hot.

Thanks

Graham
smile.gif
As it happens I have just been browsing through my new Pilote and Ducato manuals and as others have mentioned it’s only selectable at speeds below 25 kph so reckon I will rarely use it.

Rest assured I'll be going at a safe, comfortable speed for us and our rig, at all times
smile.gif

Graham
smile.gif

Its another case of putting a gimic for sale purposes , as its a cheap to offer item ! Its a crossover from Land Rovers HDC
which was a add on for a similar reason as they already had traction control fitted as a cheaper option than fitting locking diffs . These off road vehicles can make good use of it when using full capability in off road situation , on a 2wd van you should not be in that type of terrain , as you are seconds away from getting stuck .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back