Ducato Mileages

wildebus

Never owned a Ducato so not sure how they hold up ....

What kind of miles have you got on your Ducato and has anything gone wrong as it has gone up?

Seen an advert for a Ducato based MH ... 2008 Registered and hit just over 100,000 miles which is much higher than a typical motorhome of that age, but probably the Ducato panel vans rack up as much or more in a much shorter time, so does 100,000 matter? Oh, engine on this one is a 2.3L

Ours is a 2008 but only 26k miles but have found with cars in the past low mileage and old age can be a problem. Not much help to you though.😁

Only thing I found was 3 out of the four Ducatos I’ve had the Cab heater rheostat stopped working. No heat in winter no fun £30 one screw two wires fixed a fiddly job though

Only thing I found was 3 out of the four Ducatos I’ve had the Cab heater rheostat stopped working. No heat in winter no fun £30 one screw two wires fixed a fiddly job though
Was that a "only worked at top speed" type fault? seems common on all brands of vans if so (they must all use the same system!)

If buying new I would certainly get the extra three years guarantee. ( 5 years in total. )
It includes full European breakdown cover everywhere in Europe.
I've found it very good.
Some breakdown cover does not include islands or Finland and other more remote parts.
You Must get the vehicle regularly serviced by Fait which I have found over £100 cheaper in The Netherlands than UK.
The cover as to be taken out within the first two weeks .

Dave think it was. Either too hot even with windows open top setting or freezing on other settings

Same engine as found in my Iveco. I have the F1AE engine 2.3 multijet (euro 4).
Mine had a new engine at 250000 miles due to flood water damage.
I find the engine a little underwhelming but it pulls along okay. At 58mph I'll be doing 2000rpm and returning around 32mpg.
Sometimes have to drop down to 4th on long hills. I'd definitely try and make sure any purchase has the six speed box.
Egr valves are known to clog and need replacing or cleaning.
Iveco wiring is known to be pretty poor... Not sure if that's also a fiat thing?
I have replaced practical every engine ancillary at 250000 miles. Starter motor, turbo, injectors, alternator, egr. So I suppose it's fair to say that could be an indicator of lifespan of those items?

I found this...

Same engine as found in my Iveco. I have the F1AE engine 2.3 multijet (euro 4).
Mine had a new engine at 250000 miles due to flood water damage.
I find the engine a little underwhelming but it pulls along okay. At 58mph I'll be doing 2000rpm and returning around 32mpg.
Sometimes have to drop down to 4th on long hills. I'd definitely try and make sure any purchase has the six speed box.
Egr valves are known to clog and need replacing or cleaning.
Iveco wiring is known to be pretty poor... Not sure if that's also a fiat thing?
I have replaced practical every engine ancillary at 250000 miles. Starter motor, turbo, injectors, alternator, egr. So I suppose it's fair to say that could be an indicator of lifespan of those items?

I found this...

I don't think 100,000 is a big cause for concern if it has been looked after.

I don’t think there is one size fits all as my Ducato 2.8 is at 85,000 but had to have a complete engine rebuild at 81,000 luck of the draw I think.

With all vehicles it depends on how they are looked after. More damage is done to vehicles during servicing than at any other time. I gave up engine remanufacturing in the early 90's as the engines were so well made they would outlast the vehicle. Even the big dealerships will fake a service to increase profit.

My engine has done 152000 mile and is still pulling well pity about my gearbox just sorting one out now it’s getting a bit noisy.

My 2016 Ducato has 36,000 miles at present which is around 9,000 per year. Obviously very few miles this year. It returns 28 mph pulling about 3,750 kg about the continent and home, 2.3 euro 5 with 6 gears. Mostly it pulls well, but sometimes surprises on relatively gentle slopes needing changes down the gears, other times it just soars up them.
Faults have been electronic. New instrument panel for permanent dim glow of several warning and information lights. New Ecu to cure airbag warning light. Both known and common faults. One dealt with under warranty and the other by goodwill.

Davy

My 2004 2.8 jtd PVC was a powerful enough motor and when sold it had 127000 on the clocķ. No engine problems but the a/c belt shredded once and took the alt. belt with it. Another time the Alt itself failed.
My 2010 3.0 multijet160 has loads of torque and is great to drive. Nice and smooth great upgrade. Too early to make claims as its still only done just under 40000.
Hth
K ;)

Thanks for replies. Sounds like not too much of a worry.
The last high-miler I got was a VW with 167,000 miles. needed new camshaft at 171,000 despite having a 100% complete VW History. Last low miler I got was under 50,000 at 11 years old. cost a fair amount of money in the 6 months I had it despite having a 100% complete Toyota History (porus sump, new a/c and mag clutch, exhaust hangers .....) Service Histories don't seem to mean much!

Hi David did you get the one you test drove or.
I never got to test drive it yet as still being worked on (MH Dealerships are overwhelmed at the moment and everything is taken ages to do).

Dave think it was. Either too hot even with windows open top setting or freezing on other settings
does sound like resistor pack. I wonder if my LT has something going on like that? I can control the temp but it is very sensitive between heat and no heat on the dial heat setting

46 miles on my 2.3 Ducato and the check engine light came on...The RAC didn't know what the code was, but it seems to be (in the workshop next tuesday) and exhaust sensor ...

My 2004 Ducato is a 2.3. It has 60 something thousand on it now. I had to get a new clutch on it when I bought it nearly two years ago and it's had new wheel bearings both sides at the front but the engine is fine. It's definitely got more power than the 1.9 I had in a 53 plate Ducato I used to have.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back