Dying throes or just decrepit?

andromeda

Free Member

Well van has been given a second opinion.
Corrosion is considerable hence why no real price can be given for work. Given the amount of damp inside I now have to weigh up my options:
1.Do I ask garage to put back together and not do Cam belt and water pump either?
2. Do I ask for wp and cb to be done in hopes it will help sale?
3. Do I get welding, cb and wp done to help a sale which might not happen?
4. Do I get the lot done and live with the damp patching as I go even if I risk more corrosion next year?
I really would appreciate some constructive advice as am at a loss. But please no what I should have dones as it is too late now and I'm fed up enough 🙄😒😏🙂

All down to price and depth of pocket, some times you have to let go, old irish saying, dont throw good money after bad.
Now in saying that, if keeping and maybe 3/5 more years use then if price not to high id say yes, but if planing punnting on then a big no.

I am really sorry to hear of your grim news and dilemma you find yourself in with your pride and joy.

You mention damp, trying to find the source can be challenging, and if sourced, the cost to fix, and not accounting damage prior finding source.

Welding, as a fabricator welder for my whole working life, I wouldn’t do any welding on my own and current MH, trying to weld tin worm is a thankless task. Once tin worm is set in, there is no return.

While the above statement are my thoughts based on your posts, and I have not personally viewed your vehicle, I get the feeling from your posts your vehicle situation is terminal and, there comes a time where enough is enough, and no point throwing your good money into a lost and deteriorating vehicle 😟

Ultimately though, the decision is yours. I feel your pain, as you have a hard choice to make.

Well van has been given a second opinion.
Corrosion is considerable hence why no real price can be given for work. Given the amount of damp inside I now have to weigh up my options:
1.Do I ask garage to put back together and not do Cam belt and water pump either?
2. Do I ask for wp and cb to be done in hopes it will help sale?
3. Do I get welding, cb and wp done to help a sale which might not happen?
4. Do I get the lot done and live with the damp patching as I go even if I risk more corrosion next year?
I really would appreciate some constructive advice as am at a loss. But please no what I should have dones as it is too late now and I'm fed up enough 🙄😒😏🙂
Where are you chuck? We have a chap who has been glueing our tin tent back together for the last few years at a cost of 150 to 300, costing a few pounds but cheaper than a new van

It sounds like the money would have spent changing the belt would be best off keeping aside for the future. (FWIW, I had my belt changed around a year ago based on anniversary, not miles. I looked at the old one a couple of days ago before clearing out stuff and I couldn't see any sign of wear or deterioration whatsoever. So while I don't regret getting it done, I would not be too worried about postponing it in a situation like yours).

Is your van still that saleable even if you got the welding done? It sounds like it could be a bit of a money pit and you might not get much more than it will cost to sort?
Thinking back to the VW T5 I bought to convert .... It came with a full service history and I could see from that the seller had actually spent in the last two years not far off twice as much as I bought it from him for (and it was a very tidy van still and looked great). Was it really worth him spending so much before selling it? Wondering if you are not careful, you could end up going down a similar path?

Could you get it patched up enough to pass the MOT - and be safe of course - and just live with the foibles and issues and enjoy it regardless until you find a new alternate van? And then maybe transfer all the good useful stuff over?

It sounds like the money would have spent changing the belt would be best off keeping aside for the future. (FWIW, I had my belt changed around a year ago based on anniversary, not miles. I looked at the old one a couple of days ago before clearing out stuff and I couldn't see any sign of wear or deterioration whatsoever. So while I don't regret getting it done, I would not be too worried about postponing it in a situation like yours).

Is your van still that saleable even if you got the welding done? It sounds like it could be a bit of a money pit and you might not get much more than it will cost to sort?
Thinking back to the VW T5 I bought to convert .... It came with a full service history and I could see from that the seller had actually spent in the last two years not far off twice as much as I bought it from him for (and it was a very tidy van still and looked great). Was it really worth him spending so much before selling it? Wondering if you are not careful, you could end up going down a similar path?

Could you get it patched up enough to pass the MOT - and be safe of course - and just live with the foibles and issues and enjoy it regardless until you find a new alternate van? And then maybe transfer all the good useful stuff over?
I've just been thinking that. Wondering that if I get it fixed welding wise I would at least be able to recoup my money for that expense because someone might take her on as a project if they can store to dry out. I suppose the old vans that are now £21000 must have been a higher spec when new. If not they're bloomin expensive.
Seen one of these on Auto trader but can find no real info about them; Nu venture Rio. Only one owner and although old looks good; big overhang at the front.

I've just been thinking that. Wondering that if I get it fixed welding wise I would at least be able to recoup my money for that expense because someone might take her on as a project if they can store to dry out. I suppose the old vans that are now £21000 must have been a higher spec when new. If not they're bloomin expensive.
Seen one of these on Auto trader but can find no real info about them; Nu venture Rio. Only one owner and although old looks good; big overhang at the front.
Is it right that you need the welding for the MOT? if so and to get at least a pass would not be too bad, probably worth doing as a van with an MOT will be worth far more than without as the buyer will have a useable vehicle for a year while he is working in it. No MOT it is just a lump of metal on the driveway.

Overhang on the front? Over the cab that is? To me, that is a positive :). Gives you lots of extra storage space for bedding and the like without increasing the length of the vehicle.
I have the old-style overcab Bed on my Autotrail with a biggish overhang. Downside is it must hurt the fuel economy, but it is so so useful to have I don't know why they fell out of fashion? Think might be on a bit of a comeback now though?

If you go to the 'Motorhome Man's on YouTube, he has had a few reviews of the Nu Venture Rios and similar. Might be worth watching. From what I recall, he really likes them.

Is it right that you need the welding for the MOT? if so and to get at least a pass would not be too bad, probably worth doing as a van with an MOT will be worth far more than without as the buyer will have a useable vehicle for a year while he is working in it. No MOT it is just a lump of metal on the driveway.

Overhang on the front? Over the cab that is? To me, that is a positive :). Gives you lots of extra storage space for bedding and the like without increasing the length of the vehicle.
I have the old-style overcab Bed on my Autotrail with a biggish overhang. Downside is it must hurt the fuel economy, but it is so so useful to have I don't know why they fell out of fashion? Think might be on a bit of a comeback now though?

If you go to the 'Motorhome Man's on YouTube, he has had a few reviews of the Nu Venture Rios and similar. Might be worth watching. From what I recall, he really likes them.
Thanks. Gut feeling is to get welding done to MOT pass level. Don't know whether to get water pump and cambelt done or not given that realistically a new owner would want a dry van and there are definite damp issues. Think the price of repair of the mechanical issues could be recouped at sale if I sell on ebay.
I like the set up of the Nu Venture but I'm trying not to act on impulse purely because I want a holiday this year!

Not knowing the van or its real problems, I would evaluate what it is worth as is, the welding and dampness are not cheap or easy to solve if extensive, and the WP & CB are not worth doing unless the repairs are successful so don't do them yet.

One option would be to just put it on Ebay described honestly as spares and repair & at a starting price you can live with then wave goodbye and start off in the next van having had someone knowledgeable look at it first.

Listing as above to get an idea compared to yours.

Not knowing the van or its real problems, I would evaluate what it is worth as is, the welding and dampness are not cheap or easy to solve if extensive, and the WP & CB are not worth doing unless the repairs are successful so don't do them yet.

One option would be to just put it on Ebay described honestly as spares and repair & at a starting price you can live with then wave goodbye and start off in the next van having had someone knowledgeable look at it first.

Listing as above to get an idea compared to yours.

Thanks

Hi Ann.
As you may know Iam stuck in Thailand with my vehicle in store with Various issues.
I need to sell it.
I am looking to get most if not all the problems resolved (at medium cost)
I reason is that you need to have as large a market as possible so get it sold.

If you try and sell without repairs possible buyers are limited and they will try to take advantage of the various problems to reduce the price
My only exception is the cambelt !
However if the damp repairs are too much that again changes the situation.

Good luck

It's not an easy decision Ann but we're here to help if we can, maybe by looking at vans to replace yours, or maybe someone local to you can come and see yours or go look at others with you, Liz knows nothing about vans technically but I'd not buy one without her seeing it or as happened twice I go and take in-depth videos so she can see the stuff she cares about which is basically just the layout.

If when buying you're not 100% then walk away, mistakes are expensive.

Thanks everyone for the advice given after verbal discussions, particularly this morning when a very good layout of options was given me I'm biting the bullet and keeping a hopefully repaired Leo for the foreseeable future. I may live to regret it or not; it's in the lap of the Gods 🤔😏🙄🤣🤣

It may be the best decision as we're all guessing the condition of it really.

I hope it all goes well and you don't have to spend too much moneybAnn.

That's the right way to look at it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back