East Coast & Upwards

Sharon the Cat

Well, having had a bad time of it recently I have twisted Phill's arm so far that he has eventually agreed to retire on 23rd September. We will then be setting off in the van for a month. We want to head across to East Anglia and then head northwards. We intend to try many of the new aires that have been set up recently and also wildcamp.
The big worry as usual is waste disposal. I was wondering whether it would be worth joining one of the clubs, to make use of the smaller CL type sites if we need to. I know this question has been asked many times before, but which one is best and does the fact that we are heading up the east coast make any difference?

Well, having had a bad time of it recently I have twisted Phill's arm so far that he has eventually agreed to retire on 23rd September. We will then be setting off in the van for a month. We want to head across to East Anglia and then head northwards. We intend to try many of the new aires that have been set up recently and also wildcamp.
The big worry as usual is waste disposal. I was wondering whether it would be worth joining one of the clubs, to make use of the smaller CL type sites if we need to. I know this question has been asked many times before, but which one is best and does the fact that we are heading up the east coast make any difference?
I would say the caravan and camping club is the better in my opinion but I believe the caravan and Motorhome club has more cls.

Annie's advice is good !
C&CC more helpful for waste and IMO better than CAMC for motorhomes.
We mostly wildcamp and have always managed with all 3 items...but not south of ?
Lets say Birmingham.
East Anglia very flat and some narrow roads.
Many C&CC CS at sensible prices, going northwards.
We tend to "Pearl one Plain one" in England.

Bit of a wildcard this one but have you considered Haven touring sites? We have used them when taking our granddaughter away for a couple of nights. I know not everyone's cup of tea but stay with me on this one. A couple I have used are Thornwick Bay between Bridlington and Filey short walk to Flambrough for good pubs and excellent fish and chips. Also Primrose Valley short walk to Filey along the beach. We visited both sites in school holidays and shower blocks particularly Thornwick were immaculate. Midweek outside school holidays are particularly good value. I've just checked Thornwick for example Monday 10th October electric hook up including access to all entertainment swimming pool etc for 2 adults, £10 per unit. Some sites will charge that much just to dump waste.

The C&CC also have local District Association meets and Temporary Holiday Sites. (THSs) If you do decide to join the C&CC ask to be a paper member and opt in to the "Out & About" magazine. That gives you details of all the THSs and meets. They always have elsan disposal and drinking water. At this time of year some of their meets and THSs are on full faciity club sites, but at a much reduced price. The C&CC Certified Sites (CSs) are a varied bunch. Some are almost a full site with high charges. Some are just a field with waste disposal and water. One I stayed at earlier this year was not far from Skegness in a pick your own fruit farm and cost £8 per night. The advertised prices in their book and in the "site seeker" app are usually wrong.
Enjoy your trip up the East Coast.

Have gone mad and joined C&CC, unfortunately before I saw Biggarmac's post. :giggle: Went digital, oops.
This trip should tell whether it's worthwhile for us.

Reactions: 2cv
Have gone mad and joined C&CC, unfortunately before I saw Biggarmac's post. :giggle: Went digital, oops.
You can ring up the membership department and change to paper membership within a month of joining. After that month you can change at annual renewal.

You can ring up the membership department and change to paper membership within a month of joining. After that month you can change at annual renewal.
Thank you. What are the main differences between the two? I am digital through and through but last night found their site a pain, with only one filter working on a search.

1) paper costs more (£5?)

2) paper means that you can carry the supplement "Out & About" with you and see a list of all the weekend meets and Temporary Holiday sites without having to access their website.
BUT some entries say "see our website" rather than give the required details. I put this down to laziness on behalf of the local secretaries!
HOWEVER, my own area does this and I suspect that if I complain I might end up with the job. One of the many joys of "voluntary" activities.

3) paper can result in you contributing to the destruction of the Earth's natural resources, as you get a magazine with lots of glossy paper plus advert inserts for cheap wine, stair lifts, National Trust membership etc.
Alternatively, you can consider it a way to have reading matter to hand without using electricity, whilst also keeping postal deliveries financially viable.

Gordon

You don't need to be a 'paper' member to access details of THSs. These can be found via their website but it's a rather clunky process. Alternatively, use their Out and About app which is easy to use and should be up to date. I'm not a fan of loading my devices with dozens of 'apps' but I do find this one useful.
The other thing you can do is, if you attend a THS, ask the organiser for their District Association (DA) booklet. This will have a list of all the THSs within that DA. Oh, and some events are called Meets rather than THSs. As long as you are a member you can rock up to both; there's not a lot of difference.

You don't need to be a 'paper' member to access details of THSs. These can be found via their website but it's a rather clunky process. Alternatively, use their Out and About app which is easy to use and should be up to date. I'm not a fan of loading my devices with dozens of 'apps' but I do find this one useful.
The other thing you can do is, if you attend a THS, ask the organiser for their District Association (DA) booklet. This will have a list of all the THSs within that DA. Oh, and some events are called Meets rather than THSs. As long as you are a member you can rock up to both; there's not a lot of difference.

We use the out and about app we have just returned from a da meet at bridgnorth only £9 a night bargain we have also stayed at haven site's out of season for £10 a night as suggested by undertaker

That's more my style. I've installed the app.
Now I just have to work out how and whether you have to book these things. It's a new world to me.

Now I just have to work out how and whether you have to book these things. It's a new world to me.
Most don't need to be booked but it is a good idea to ring the number given to check. This year there have been a lot of posts on the All the DAs facebook page saying some sites were full.

Most don't need to be booked but it is a good idea to ring the number given to check. This year there have been a lot of posts on the All the DAs facebook page saying some sites were full.
Thank you. I must say that none of it is obvious with C&CC. I only found the information about the THSs and meets on the web site because you had mentioned the name of the magazine.
Is it presumptuous to take it for granted that dogs will be accepted at all meets and THSs?

We've just turned up the 3 times at Riverside caravan park at bridgnorth but it is a big rally field also check out haven touring parks were going to Cleethorpes on the 26 September for 5 nights with ehu £51 Filey is also that price that includes all the park amenities if you want to use them

Thank you. I must say that none of it is obvious with C&CC. I only found the information about the THSs and meets on the web site because you had mentioned the name of the magazine.
Is it presumptuous to take it for granted that dogs will be accepted at all meets and THSs?
As far as I am aware dogs are welcome at all THS

Thank you. What are the main differences between the two? I am digital through and through but last night found their site a pain, with only one filter working on a search.
You can always download the Out & About app on your mobile/tablet and you can then search for THS and meets (y)

Regards,
Del

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back