Ebay policy

Pudsey Bear

Ebay is getting really silly now, I had a spare MC4 connector, so rather than more landfill I listed it, it's been on for months but today I got this message from them, so I can't list it with the name or use a picture of it FFS.

We had to remove your listing because it didn’t follow our VeRO Brand Name Misuse Policy. You may not use brands names in your listings if the product isn’t manufactured by or compatible with that brand​

What activity didn't follow the policy

Your listing was reported by the rights owner (below) because you have used the term (MC4) When listing this product please do not use the term (MC4) in your title, item specifics, images and/or description.

What is the policy

- Your listing was reported by Stäubli Electrical Connectors AG for using their brand name inappropriately. eBay’s Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) programme offers intellectual property owner(s) a way to report listings that they believe infringe on their rights
- Brand names cannot be used in listings if the product isn’t manufactured by, or compatible with, that brand. You may use "compatible with", "fits", or "for" before a brand name, if the item described is specifically designed to be compatible with the products of that brand
-- Using a trademark owner's logos without permission is not allowed.
- If you believe a mistake has been made, you will need to contact the rights owner directly. If the rights owner approves your appeal, please have them contact us directly to reinstate your listing(s)

This happens, its like selling a hoover<common name> but in fact its a vax, they can be pulled by the real makers with product rights.

Basically though if they all did that there would be no branded products for sale anywhere outside authorised dealers.

If I was selling knocks offs it wouldn't bother me but it's a genuine product, not even a used one so a bit heavy handed in my opinion to complain to ebay in the first place.

But I can't put up a picture either, I'll just bin it.

I got taken to task big time by evilbay and Oxford products because I managed to buy a large quantity of new ‘Oxford Hot Grips” for use on motorbikes and I was selling them well under the price being charged by Oxford stockists.

What I should have done was advertise them as “shop soiled” and all would have been OK. It wasn’t a problem as I’d just about sold out and wasn’t able to get any more anyway.

But I can't put up a picture either, I'll just bin it.
I doubt if you will sell it anyway. The cost of postage to you plus transaction fees means just to break even you will endup charging more than a brand new pack.

Basically though if they all did that there would be no branded products for sale anywhere outside authorised dealers.

If I was selling knocks offs it wouldn't bother me but it's a genuine product, not even a used one so a bit heavy handed in my opinion to complain to ebay in the first place.
Ps. Is it actually a VeRo branded product?
I didn't know `MC4` was a trademark name TBH. I have lots of MC4 connectors and could not tell you what brands they are :)

I doubt if you will sell it anyway. The cost of postage to you plus transaction fees means just to break even you will endup charging more than a brand new pack.
I have found that single items fetch better money than packs David, I had some Smev sink/hob screw covers, cheap as anything but I had seven, I had to buy four to get the one I needed, lost that pack and bought four more, used one and lost the rest, I found them a few months ago and put them on eBay, all gone but one, one at a time at £3.75 +P&P I did consider buying a bigger pack.

A screw cover at £3.75 plus postage?? personally I would find something that would do the job at a hardware store!

(I've just replaced the chain guard on my electric bike. Bought a better made (German flexible plastic rather than Chinese brittle plastic) one secondhand from a bike shop this morning. Just had to re-drill one mounting hole position and job's a good 'un)
Always a way to adapt stuff to suit:)

I looked all over, nothing to match them David.

Postage was £1

Some people are a bit blinkered when looking for a replacement doo-dah and search simply for the “correct” item (me included sometimes) and it can make for a profitable sale as Kev found out.

I bought a new 2 x 11kg Gasit kit for the Bessie 2 years ago, It was going to be the last van so I sold it without fitting, then lost a load on selling the kit still unused, but I found the bottle level gauges and sold them last year, I'm still selling odd bit I got for the self-build, I put them on 10 day auction and just relist them if unsold, I'm just wrapping a Fleece I bought on holiday in a charity shop, £5, Not that keen when I got home so I have put it in a gentle wash, ironed it and got £30 for it.

I used to list stuff really cheap, but with ebay and Paypal taking their cut I just list it a bit high and let folk make offers, it's amazing what people like to buy late at night, old but useful software is good, MS office is a good one.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back