EHU safety instructions in owners manual?

CriftinsCampers

Just curious:

BS7671 Regulation 721.411.3.1.2 requires structural metallic parts that are accessible from within the caravan to be connected through main protective bonding conductors to the main earthing terminal within the caravan."

However

Regulation 708.411.4 of the Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002 (ESQCR) prohibits the connection of a protective multiple earthing (PME) facility to any metalwork in a leisure accommodation vehicle (including a caravan).

Typically Caravan sites use TN-S earthing hence why these are safe to use on EH as they comply with the regulations
However most UK homes use PME earthing which does not comply and is potentially unsafe.

My query is:
Is it explicitly stated in Caravan (and or Motorhome) owners manuals or on any onboard safety stickers not to connect the van to a PME supply.

Note this is not a question about who does connect their vans up at home as pretty much everyone probably does!

If it said anything of the sort in mine I wouldn't have the foggiest as to what they were on about. It would have to read something like "Unsafe to plug into domestic supply".

At home I have cut down a metal fence lath and hammered it into the ground at the back of my van , then when on EHU I run a jump lead from the van chassis to the ground lath

At home I have cut down a metal fence lath and hammered it into the ground at the back of my van , then when on EHU I run a jump lead from the van chassis to the ground lath
Many moons ago when I was a squaddie in the sigs, we had to do that every time we parked the relay trucks up.

i park over a grid would putting jump lead to chassis then to grid work?

You learn something every day. I’ll put a spike in the ground today and put a jump lead on it. I’ve always just had the van plugged straight into an outside socket for years never done any harm but now I know I’ll have to do it.

i park over a grid would putting jump lead to chassis then to grid work?
Proberbly not as the spike has to be down a certain depths about 3 feet if I remember right ?? Another option would be run a extension cable to the van and use a smart charger ,if that doesn't contravene any rules ?

Last edited:
Having read a number of Electrical forums on this, the consensus seems to be that the risk is low and as one commented "not even the ultra-cautious bods at electrical Safety First have raised any concerns about hook ups to the thousands of vans sitting in driveways across the U.K."

One option, for the cautious, would be to sink an electrode at the hook up point and connect the earth from the supply to that.

A couple of links: Regs for caravan sites
Discussion on supply of EHU at home

Now then, i have told by a know all up the road that EHU does not charge the van battery only the leisure battery.

I have an 2018 plate. i have put it on EHU to my home and it does not charge the van battery is there something wrong.

Now then, i have told by a know all up the road that EHU does not charge the van battery only the leisure battery.

I have an 2018 plate. i have put it on EHU to my home and it does not charge the van battery is there something wrong.
Not knowing all the moho's I would say he's probably correct ?

My Sargent 328 charges engine battery I would suggest yor start a post giving details of your system ,the information you need may be in your manual if it is not charging engine battery it could pilot error Bazz

For an earthing rod to work properly it needs to made of copper and the ground (or hole) should be given a good soaking with water.

That sounds normal to me... always remembering that my leccy knowledge knows no beginnings!
To this day, I'm still not certain if my mains smart charger helps my engine battery at all (I don't believe it does) but I do know that I had to have an extra gizmo fitted so that my solar panel could do the honours. A decade ago it was a battery master that solved the continually flattening engine battery but now I have a little Citrix relay that does the job.

I'm sure some proper advice will be along soon :ROFLMAO:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back