EHU with open earth

Rockburner

EHU with open earth

ok - so you've checked the site's hookups and they're both open earth ... what do you do? I'm assuming that this means it's not exactly a good idea to plug the cable into the van, so what's the fix?

I've seen multiple articles about being sure to check for EHU issues, and most include the advice to use a specially adapted 'reverse' cable for those locations where the positive and neutral connections are reversed, but they never say what to do in the event that the tester indicates 'open earth'.

Suggestions on the traditional back of a postcard please....

Last edited by a moderator:
Complain to the site. It would be nice to check the socket direct first though if possible. I.e. not via your lead, van, socket

Plug van into socket.
Rub finger gently across door handle.
If no tingle carry on regardless.
If you get a tingle maybe your van has a fault.
Fix van.

Ray.

On a Camper Stop in Spain this year 90% of the socket outlets had no earth connection. This was due to the them only having a single earth connection spring on the socket, instead of the latest 2 springs, being pushed back inside the socket when plugs are pushed in. A fairly simple job to pull the earth contact back out with long nose pliers but not many users appeared bothered.
If there is genuinely no earth on the site bollards then I would not use them.

I get SWMBO to confirm which is the earth wire by asking her to put her finger into each of the socket holes in sequence........ .
Quick response and far easier to read than a Voltmeter!!

rayc;n8164 said:
On a Camper Stop in Spain this year 90% of the socket outlets had no earth connection. This was due to the them only having a single earth connection spring on the socket, instead of the latest 2 springs, being pushed back inside the socket when plugs are pushed in. A fairly simple job to pull the earth contact back out with long nose pliers but not many users appeared bothered.
If there is genuinely no earth on the site bollards then I would not use them.

Chicken Ray. Where's the earth on a boat?

Ray.

If you are not sure and need EHU carry a small spike ( I use the dogs spiral spike ) and knock it into the ground then use one of your jump leads , one side onto your chassis the other onto the spike

It caused me great problems when importing an old Dodge RV with two 110v supplies and a center earth. Sticking a UK power plug into it gave 55 volts all over the place.
This was before elcb's and rcd's.

Ray.

raynipper;n8153 said:
Plug van into socket.
Rub finger gently across door handle.
If no tingle carry on regardless.
If you get a tingle maybe your van has a fault.
Fix van.

Ray.

DON'T run your fingers across the handle use the back of your hand. If there is a fault and you touch it with your fingers your muscles can contract and make you grab the handle and be unable to let go.

rayc;n8182 said:
Much to complicated to explain in a few lines so :http://www.emc-esd.nl/wp-content/upl...a-Earthing.pdf

On my last yacht both the boats AC and DC were grounded on all the metal through hulls and the main anti corrosion anode. The shore supply AC (EHU) earth was connected to the boat earth by a galvanic isolator to prevent nasty eddy currents between the shore earth and the boat earth which would make the anti corrosion anode disappear in weeks if not days. Apart from that small boat systems were very similar to van systems. I suspect it could be possible to make up an earth rod for the van though just how you would confirm it's effectiveness I do not know.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a van NOT made in the U.K. then there is no need to worry.

DO NOT WORK ON ANY MAINS ELECTRICAL ITEM UNTIL YOU HAVE UNPLUGGED FROM THE MAINS.

If you go to remote areas of Norway and occasionally elsewhere they use two phase electricity supplies, this means you will always get a ' Live Neutral fault ' if you use a tester. Again don't worry but NEVER WORK WITHOUT DISCONNECTING FROM THE MAINS FIRST.

I never check just plug in, what/how should I do what?
Im a bit of a numpty when it comes to electrics!

So what are the consequences of live neutral reversal?
understand no earth could make your hair stand on end!!!!!!

If no earth available then do what I do , buy a proper earthing rod as used for household electrics, bang it into the ground and fix a cable to it permanently and fix a large crocodile clamp on the other end. You are then able to clamp it to vehicle chassis where a good contact can be made or you can make an earthing point by cleaning the chassis and fitting a permanent earth cable bolted to the chassis. The earthing rods are usually quite long so I cut mine in half, I use mine all the time when using a generator as in theory you still need an earth.

Carrerasax;n30328 said:
So what are the consequences of live neutral reversal?

In normal use there is no adverse consequence to the majority of appliances. Just be aware that when switching an appliance off at a socket or switch that it is the Neutral that would have been switched and Live would still be going to the appliance.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back