Electric Bike Insurance

I have a Kryptonite Chain lock, the New York Noose for my road bike, it weighs a ton and is pretty tough. Maybe a diamond bladed angle grinder would get through it - eventually. I haven't tried. Obviously I don't take it when I'm riding, just a light cable lock if I stop for a few minutes at a shop. At sites in Spain I lock it to a tree or other object, but I only go to quiet sites, not that's a guarantee against theft.

I think a bit of common sense has to apply. eg if the bike's on a rear rack and you have to leave the van parked for a while then try and back up against something like a wall, to make it awkward to remove. But in reality, you're only ever going to deter the opportunist thief with a flimsy lock while something like a Kryptonite should deter most because of the time it would take to break it.

I have a Kryptonite Chain lock, the New York Noose for my road bike, it weighs a ton and is pretty tough. Maybe a diamond bladed angle grinder would get through it - eventually. I haven't tried. Obviously I don't take it when I'm riding, just a light cable lock if I stop for a few minutes at a shop. At sites in Spain I lock it to a tree or other object, but I only go to quiet sites, not that's a guarantee against theft.

I think a bit of common sense has to apply. eg if the bike's on a rear rack and you have to leave the van parked for a while then try and back up against something like a wall, to make it awkward to remove. But in reality, you're only ever going to deter the opportunist thief with a flimsy lock while something like a Kryptonite should deter most because of the time it would take to break it.
I watched quite a few of the Lock Picking Lawyers videos and it seems there is not a lock that cannot be picked in seconds IF you know how.
Fortunately not many know how and resort to brute force. I bought the Kryptonite Chain Lock (like in the video) as my heavy-duty permenant security, and similar to you, if planning to only stop for a few minutes outside a shop if out, take a lighter (but still fairly decent) lock.

When renewing home insurance, a while back, I noticed what a pitiful amount is offered for "contents of out buildings". On some it was something like £2,500. I could not find any policy that had a high enough amount to cover all oh's plumbing tools. together with heavy duty gardening tools like chainsaw, petrol strimmer, ride on mower, walk behind mower etc etc. I found two reputable companies in the end. One was NFU that work in the old fashioned way on the telephone with loads of questions and chit chat that drove me nuts. Marks and Spencer's policy offering unlimited cover for contents of outbuildings was the one I went with in the end.

cite europe in calais got hit one night the standard bike rack has aluminium tubes that are a hook at the top & bolted at the bottom during the night someone had used a pipe cutter to cut the bottom pipe left them in place did about ten then they just went along in pairs lifting the hooks of & throwing bikes locks & racks in the back of an open truck only driving off when eventually challenged i have a 3 mts plastic covered wire that went through bikes and racks & down to the chassis very obvious and mine was not cut

cite europe in calais got hit one night the standard bike rack has aluminium tubes that are a hook at the top & bolted at the bottom during the night someone had used a pipe cutter to cut the bottom pipe left them in place did about ten then they just went along in pairs lifting the hooks of & throwing bikes locks & racks in the back of an open truck only driving off when eventually challenged i have a 3 mts plastic covered wire that went through bikes and racks & down to the chassis very obvious and mine was not cut
Hmmm. I did think about the actual rack being a potential weak point and the four connection points could be chopped quickly. What I need to add I guess as well as a chain around rack and bike, is another chain connecting the bikes to the tow bar

When renewing home insurance, a while back, I noticed what a pitiful amount is offered for "contents of out buildings". On some it was something like £2,500. I could not find any policy that had a high enough amount to cover all oh's plumbing tools. together with heavy duty gardening tools like chainsaw, petrol strimmer, ride on mower, walk behind mower etc etc. I found two reputable companies in the end. One was NFU that work in the old fashioned way on the telephone with loads of questions and chit chat that drove me nuts. Marks and Spencer's policy offering unlimited cover for contents of outbuildings was the one I went with in the end.
I noticed it can be very low. My AXA policy limits are £5,000 in Outbuildings and £2,500 for items in the Garden
(no ride-on lawnmowers, but I have £10,000,000 cover for domestic servants, which is handy :LOL: )

the cable i have has an eye on each end i put one eyethrough the chassis threaded the cable through took the other end through bike & rack then locked the other eye back onto the padlock

Cite Europe, Calais. If I had my fairly expensive bike on the back I'd be very careful about where I parked up. We avoid cities and stick to quiet villages or small towns.

I think a bolt-cropper would go through a cable pretty quickly, but it would have a deterrent effect due the time required to disentangle.

That's what my local bike shop said when I asked about the cable he had routed through all his bike on display - it would delay them while he came down with his machine gun.

the cable i have has an eye on each end i put one eyethrough the chassis threaded the cable through took the other end through bike & rack then locked the other eye back onto the padlock
thinking about it, I could use the ladder as a secure point as well? They are likely stronger than a bike rack in both materials and fixing points?

No matter what precautions you take, if they want it they'll have it! But make it difficult and they'll go for easier pickings. It sounds like quite a hassle to best make sure that an externally mounted bike is not taken. Even if insured it's the inconvenience of the damage and loss.
We'll likely get a couple of e-bikes sometime but at least they'd be in our moho garage out of sight, the locks are pretty crap but at least it's alarmed!

No matter what precautions you take, if they want it they'll have it! But make it difficult and they'll go for easier pickings. It sounds like quite a hassle to best make sure that an externally mounted bike is not taken. Even if insured it's the inconvenience of the damage and loss.
We'll likely get a couple of e-bikes sometime but at least they'd be in our moho garage out of sight, the locks are pretty crap but at least it's alarmed!
Like I said ... I'l put my bikes in the garage as well of course :)

damn. I forgot, not got one.

Ah, that is why I need a lock. silly me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back