Electric Bike, insurance?

I would be more worried about being insured for running someone down. All mechanically propelled vehicles should be subject to the same rules.
Hey ... you will love this .... When I was in Trevs stomping ground, the island I was living on had no requirement AT ALL in terms of what was required for vehicles. I used to drive my dads Hillman Hunter and Renault (12?) around the island roads without any tax (not needed), MOT (not needed) or even a driving licence (not needed). Insurance also was not legally required, although he did take some out as a precuation.
Interesting way to learn to drive - Hunter had no exhaust and just 2nd and 4th forward gears, and the Renault had no reverse (so had to plan stops on a hill in order to roll back)

Is Insurance needed to use the bike in public areas / roaduse ?

I'm not sure you got an answer - but my understanding is No, it isn't. Happy to be corrected but I've not read anything about that.

I'm piking up my first ebike tomorrow form Halfrauds. I went for a foldable one so hopefully I can stow it in the MH garage rather than use a bike rack. The MH is nearly 9m already so I didn't want extra length.

Is Insurance needed to use the bike in public areas / roaduse ?
I'm not sure you got an answer - but my understanding is No, it isn't. Happy to be corrected but I've not read anything about that.

I'm piking up my first ebike tomorrow form Halfrauds. I went for a foldable one so hopefully I can stow it in the MH garage rather than use a bike rack. The MH is nearly 9m already so I didn't want extra length.
I don’t think it is a requirement but a very good idea to have some cover. My home contents insurance covers legal liability for bodily injury and accidental damage to property.

Reactions: GMJ
Thanks for the reminder: I'll check my house insurance too.

Hi , I've recently got an electric bike and was wondering about security when traveling (when possible!). I would have to keep it on the rack on the back of my Autocruise Rythem. I've purchased a really solid lock and I've got a cover. Do any of you have separate insurance for an ebike, or added it to the household cover etc, and if so how much did it cost / is it worth it?

Cheers
Pete
Our bikes are covered as specified items on our household contents insurance. I queried whether they would be covered on a rack on the motorhome with our insurer (NFU) & they said that they have to be locked to an immovable object; fortunately they considered the motorhome to be immovable. We also have a VanBitz growler alarm fitted which has an accessory loop that we use to alarm the bikes.

Luckily ours do fit in the MH garage so no issues with visibility.

Our house insurer wouldn’t cover the electric bikes when away from home. Got it through Barclays, £16 a year up to £2,500 per bike

I don’t think it is a requirement but a very good idea to have some cover. My home contents insurance covers legal liability for bodily injury and accidental damage to property.
You may need to check that the e-bike isn’t excluded by this as a propelled vehicle.
I would guess any specific e-bike insurance would also include this important public liability cover.

I need to get my arse into gear (sorry !!) as we are picking up our second bike on Tuesday: I need to check our house insurance.

Hi , I've recently got an electric bike and was wondering about security when traveling (when possible!). I would have to keep it on the rack on the back of my Autocruise Rythem. I've purchased a really solid lock and I've got a cover. Do any of you have separate insurance for an ebike, or added it to the household cover etc, and if so how much did it cost / is it worth it?

Cheers
Pete
I have 2 on my house insurance, for pennies really, they are covered named extra items more than £1500 away from home, only stipulation is they have to be locked to a permanent fixture, I lock mine to the tow bar with high security D locks, when travelling and when camped.
i’m with sheilas wheels.
I tried to get separate bike insurance but it was more than my home insurance premium.

I might be wrong but I think the one of the most expensive parts of the bike is the battery (having tried recently to buy replacements, follow the charging instructions faithfully to avoid the mistakes we made). So keeping that inside the van would mitigate the risk.
I’ve just had my oxygen mtb battery re-celled by http://www.ebikebatteries.co.uk, where I bought the bike from wanted £600 for a new battery, these guys, ‘Jimmy’ did it for £300 so far very happy with the battery and service, had it done in December so not really give it a good workout but have been local Howarth etc, been great, I will stress I have no connection with the above company.
Have a look on Pedlegs forum.

You may need to check that the e-bike isn’t excluded by this as a propelled vehicle.
I would guess any specific e-bike insurance would also include this important public liability cover.
Under the liability section my home contents policy it says mechanically or electrically propelled vehicles are not covered other than ............ -power assisted pedal cycles, electric wheelchairs and Class 1 or Class 2 mobility scooters.

I just updated my home insurance to include bikes for the grand sum of...

...£4.83!

I think the annual amount is £12 something so I'm not complaining. This covers up to £1500 a bike or £3000 for two bikes, for theft when at home or away from home...so they are now covered when in the Moho too.

I just updated my home insurance to include bikes for the grand sum of...

...£4.83!

I think the annual amount is £12 something so I'm not complaining. This covers up to £1500 a bike or £3000 for two bikes, for theft when at home or away from home...so they are now covered when in the Moho too.
I hope you asked for a discount!!

• Funny
Reactions: GMJ
Mine goes zoom zoom zoom. 10mph on a battery that gives me about 20 miles. 8 hour recharge . Or is it a scooter lol?
On a serious note it’s great for getting to the shops when parked up. Plus very compact so you don’t have to
Mount it on the bike rack

8C7EDA56-6A01-494B-BC2A-6D764899EA70.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back