Electroblok on Hymer B584 Year 2000 not charging leisure battery from engine

Thanks for reply. Fuses near leisure battery are 10A and 50A. Charge shows on ammeter from hook up not engine.
Correction fuses are 50A and 2A. Need to go to Specsavers! Fuses are in tact.. they are held is special holder on LH side of gel battery viewed from dashboard.

Thanks. Ammeter above habitation door. Charge from engine goes via Electroblok. Fridge charging. Leisure battery not.
I'm aware the circuit goes via the Electrobloc, what I don't understand is you say the fridge has power when switched to 12 volt and the engine is running but no charge to leisure batteries?
That suggests the D+ signal is being received by the Electrobloc and unless there is a break in the circuit to the leisure batteries they should be receiving a charge.
Have you tried measuring the voltage at the leisure batteries with engine running, if so does it increase with engine running or not?

Have you tried measuring the voltage at the leisure batteries with engine running, if so does it increase with engine running or not?

I would also check that you are getting the same voltage at the EBL end of the engine battery connection. If you are and the D+ is also live at the EBL then I would be suspicious that the separator relay within the EBL has failed.

I'm aware the circuit goes via the Electrobloc, what I don't understand is you say the fridge has power when switched to 12 volt and the engine is running but no charge to leisure batteries?
That suggests the D+ signal is being received by the Electrobloc and unless there is a break in the circuit to the leisure batteries they should be receiving a charge.
Thanks for reply. Voltage access leisure batteries does not increase when engine is running. This is a mistery to me as the fridge works in mobile use and some 14.4v is measured at the Electroblock. As a further check on a cuircuit breakdown do you know which port on the Electroblock sends out the charge voltage for the leisure batteries? Many thanks in anticipation.

When I had an EBL the charge arrived from the engine battery through a big wire on the back and went on to the leisure battery by another big wire on the back. When the D+ signal was received by the EBL an internal relay linked the two. If the two are not at the same voltage when the engine is running then either the D+ signal is suspect or the relay may have stopped working.
BC2E3D3E-E0B6-4141-8BCF-98B54F227D4D.png71C8FA31-43D7-4F28-855D-82CD62CB09B8.png

When I had an EBL the charge arrived from the engine battery through a big wire on the back and went on to the leisure battery by another big wire on the back. When the D+ signal was received by the EBL an internal relay linked the two. If the two are not at the same voltage when the engine is running then either the D+ signal is suspect or the relay may have stopped working.
View attachment 51492View attachment 51493
Thanks my Electroblock is ELB 99. This could be wired differently

I'd think the relay between starter and habitation circuits has failed.
If that is the case then a repair to the unit will be required, if you can access the faulty part I'd guess it will be relatively easy job to replace it, if not then get it to a repairer or Schaudt themselves.

With your van being a 2000 model you probably have the earlier version of the EBL99. These did not react well when an extra Leisure battery was added. If both batteries were relatively deeply discharged on a regular basis, the EBL99 could fail. This was because the charger had to try and replenish 3 batteries (including the starter battery) and it was not up to the job.

If your batteries are not new ones and are starting to fail, this puts added stress on the EBL.

Here is a link to the 99 manual
I don't think there are any significant differences in respect of the battery connections or internal relay. The 29 is the replacement for the 99 which I believe they have now dropped.
Thanks for update. It is beginning to look that the Electroblock is faulty cf p5 faults in ELB99 manual. I would just like to make absolutely sure that this is the case before ordering a replacement.

Udo Lang at Schaudt was very helpful when I wanted some advice 2 years back. He replies to emails in English.
Udo.Lang@schaudt.gmbh
He never did reply to me, I thought he may have left as I saw he was praised. Luckily Martin at A And N sorted me out

Thanks for update. It is beginning to look that the Electroblock is faulty cf p5 faults in ELB99 manual. I would just like to make absolutely sure that this is the case before ordering a replacement.

You can either get yours repaired or get an exchange unit. Much cheaper than buying a new one. I'm not certain if you can get your original one upgraded to the spec of a later model but it would be better.

If everything else in the EBL is working, other than the linking relay, you might get away with fitting a new relay outside the box. What I am thinking is a normally open 70A relay with closing triggered by a D+ feed that would link the engine and leisure battery leads when the engine is running. Am I overlooking something important with this idea?

I would also check that you are getting the same voltage at the EBL end of the engine battery connection. If you are and the D+ is also live at the EBL then I would be suspicious that the separator relay within the EBL has failed.
Thanks for help. Problem was a faulty 50A fuse next to starter battery. Solved.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back