Ellbee 5-part hinge... help!

Minisorella

I could do with a new habitation door hinge but I've discovered that the one I need has been discontinued and I haven't been able to find anyone with old stock.
It's the type that also operates the fly-screen... as in the photo below. It's the large, angled piece that attaches to the fly-screen and the broken hinge is the top one of 3.
If I can't get hold of another one the same, I was wondering whether I could get away with moving the centre hinge to the top position, so that the fly-screen is still supported at the top and bottom but with a new normal 3-part hinge in the middle, just attached to the hab door.
What do you think? Alternatively, does anyone have any bright ideas where I might find an old or new replacement 5-part hinge?

Ellbee Hinge.jpg

look like they are hard to find looked at lot of post on other side about the same thing you could try olearys but theyseem not to stock them now

Hi,

Speaking as someone who has done similar jobs in the past I think your solution will work.

Then you will have time to sort out either obtaining a replacement multihing thingumywhatsit or
perhaps cannibalise another hinge for parts.

Boots

Try these Jennie, they did have them on eBay at one point

Kenmore Caravans Limited
Sally Bell
119 Huddersfield Road
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
WF14 9DA

01924 498 311

I cured my hinge, which was very similar to yours, by following StuartO's instructions on this link:

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.u...rs/Removing-a-Hymer-Door-Hinge/42812/#M575423

Jennie, it looks like you've already got your hinge off so . . .

"I was then able to separate the two halves of the hinge by sliding my loose half (which held the hinge pin) out of the nylon-bushed other half. It was a sticky fit (hence the noise from the hinge) so I used a 5mm drill to clean the bore of the bush. I cleaned up the pin and applied a squirt of silicone fluid and the hinge pin was a sliding and rotating fit.It works perfectly now whereas it was about to break being almost seized up and squeaking badly."

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks so much everyone. The hinge had been really stiff and squeaking for ages and I tried lots of lubrication but nothing seemed to help. I've avoided using the fly screen for a very long time but really needed it when I was in Europe. The bit that fits to the fly screen eventually snapped but it's holding together well for now with a couple of large washers. If I can find someone who can weld it, that would be a great solution. Also cleaning out the bore where the pin sits, as per Bazzybabes link. I think that's what started the problem to be honest... the pin has seized inside and may be a bit bent? If I can't find one at a breakers, it sounds as though I may not completely mad to consider swapping them around to give the best support at top and bottom, with a different kind of hinge in the middle. Now all I need is one of those round tuits! :oops:

I've just searched for aluminium welders in my area and there are a few. I've just spoken on the phone and emailed a photo over to one of them... sounds hopeful. Fingers crossed.

i'd expect the guy who welded my malaga heater to charge about a tenner- basically a bung for doing it in his lunch break. how wheels are greased !
these workshop guys are generally very helpful and like any excuse to stop and discuss an out of the ordinary problem

If I don't have any joy in my area, I may just pay you and your welder friend a visit Mr Brown!
No need to bake me a lemon drizzle cake though... I don't like to make work for people :giggle: :ROFLMAO:

Jen , the best way of getting these things sorted is to just walk into the workshop . someone will always come up and ask if they can help [ translation- are you lost ?] once you show them the hinge they'll be hooked ! do it through e-mails etc , you'll just be another job, booked up for weeks and top price plus vat. i've often had little jobs done like this on the spot for a fiver- much better !

If I don't have any joy in my area, I may just pay you and your welder friend a visit Mr Brown!
No need to bake me a lemon drizzle cake though... I don't like to make work for people :giggle::ROFLMAO:
I don’t mind making work for folks if it gets me lemon drizzle cake :)

I had the same problem bought a 3 part hinge and swapped the broken part it took some time and my hinge is now multi coloured white/aluminium but working well hope this helps

That's sort of what I did in the end too. I replaced the perfectly good middle hinge with a new 3 part hinge (white one) and used the bits from the good one to repair the top and bottom hinges, which luckily had different broken/worn bits. When I say "I", I mean my kind mates Paul and Alan, who know how to handle a pop-rivet gun (y)

Last edited:
Sue, if you can work out exactly which bits of which hinges are seized or squeaking, you might end up with enough useful parts to make up 2 x 5-part hinges to put in the top and bottom position. We managed to do that, with just a new hinge in the middle position, so I was able to keep the fly-screen. If we couldn't have made up 2 working full-sized ones, I would have ditched the fly-screen completely. It might mean buying 2 new hinges to get enough good parts to swap out but you can't buy the bits that hold the fly-screen, so you need at least 2 hinges-worth of those of those to be in good shape. Hope that makes sense!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back