Engine won’t start until third time

Cujimi

Hi I have a weird problem with my Dethleffs fiat ducato based motorhome. We are in Spain at the moment but at Canterbury park and ride we tried to start our motorhome but had nothing just a click We thought maybe the battery was dead but it’s new and the display showed plenty of charge but after leaving it for a minute it started. It’s been like this all the way down to Spain sometimes even after stopping for five minutes. Up to now it’s always started but it’s a worry as we have four more weeks of holiday. We recently had a new controller fitted to split the solar power between engine battery and leisure but we used it in the uk after that with no problem of starting. I’ve looked at the battery and don’t see anything obvious. It would have to be with my knowledge any insight would be appreciated.

I have a habit of fitting a second eth strap on all by toys, and i carry jump leads.
If its turning over it could also be fuelvalve sticky or glow plugs on the way out.

What I don’t understand is it starts about 3rd time of asking plenty of power in the engine. I’ll try that suggestion thanks.

Do you have a Phantom Tracker with immobiliser. We had a mystery non starting problem from almost new yet with everything looking good whenever anyone looked at it. A random inspiration had me ring Phantom, who did a remote reset, no problem ever since.

Thanks for your reply now that I think about it I loaded down a new version of the app for our tracker and it’s telling me now every time the engine starts and stops so maybe somehow the immobiliser is coming into play. I’ll research that a bit. It seems to be starting at first time of asking now so maybe the problems cleared. Let’s hope so.

Hi I have a weird problem with my Dethleffs fiat ducato based motorhome. We are in Spain at the moment but at Canterbury park and ride we tried to start our motorhome but had nothing just a click We thought maybe the battery was dead but it’s new and the display showed plenty of charge but after leaving it for a minute it started. It’s been like this all the way down to Spain sometimes even after stopping for five minutes. Up to now it’s always started but it’s a worry as we have four more weeks of holiday. We recently had a new controller fitted to split the solar power between engine battery and leisure but we used it in the uk after that with no problem of starting. I’ve looked at the battery and don’t see anything obvious. It would have to be with my knowledge any insight would be appreciated.
Hi,
Had exactly the same problem a few years ago. Our Sprinter campervan occasionally started and then, just like yours, it would not start. We tried everything to fix it. At the time we were in Germany so took it to a Mercedes dealer who said it was the ignition switch. They promptly changed it and then we were off again. Many kilometres later, exactly the same happened again. Intermittent starting and stopping all the way round Europe. We limped back home to the UK and, to cut a long story short, we finally took it to a Mercedes dealer who finally discovered it was a relay connection under the dashboard. Somehow, moisture had got to it and one of the relays was corroded causing an intermittent starting problem. The problem was fixed and we have never looked back. So check your relay box and, make sure you check all of them. My faulty/corroded relay was the one connected to the starter motor.
If yours is now OK I would still check your relays......................................hope this helps.

Hi wildsprinters, I've got a Sprinter. Do you know which relay it was, and where to check it? Mine's a 2019 model - although I have seen a 2020 reg one which was the earlier model than mine.
Interestingly I had a heater problem in France late last year. The blower would blow at all speeds but only cold air, whatever the temperature set. I got it repaired at a MB commercial dealer and was intrigued by the invoice which showed six different labour rates from €70 / hr to €110 / hr. The rate for each part of the job was charged at a specific rate, depending on the skill level for that job. Apart from the fact that here my local dealer charges a flat rate of £180 / hr, the French dealer had posters in the waiting room showing prices for regular stuff like brakes and servicing at surprisingly, and pleasingly low prices. I think I will get mine serviced in France - it's much cheaper than here.

I had the same twice! Check earth lead from the battery, mine went straight to the starter. Bolt snapped off so bolted to the engine. Second time it was the link from the solenoid to the starter motor. Check the main lead from the battery to the solenoid as well.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back